+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging by sight glass

Post Likes

Charging by sight glass

When charging a refrigeration system by sight glass and its been off for hours, the case is warm. Do you clear the sight glass as soon as you can when you first restart the system, or let the case/product come down to its design temperature range and then finish charging to clear the sightglass.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Peztoy View Post
    When charging a refrigeration system by sight glass and its been off for hours, the case is warm. Do you clear the sight glass as soon as you can when you first restart the system, or let the case/product come down to its design temperature range and then finish charging to clear the sightglass.

Technically when the case is "warm" the system is overloaded, the sight glass is not there for charging, your thermometer is....

In all seriousness, it depends on much more than what you wrote. Receiver?, TXV?, Cap tube?, type of refrigerant?...

Not as cut and dried as you are trying to make it.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Is it a indoor or outdoor condensing unit ? This could make a big difference.

Post Likes
    TXV, receiver, R22, reach in cooler.
    I was thinking when you first start up the txv would be fully open because of the high load.
    Later as the cooler comes down to temperature the txv would be more closed, the liquid line would have more refrigerant backing up in it, the sight glass would then clear when the system was running in its normal range.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    Air cooled condensing unit in the ceilling.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    Is it a pump-down system ?

Post Likes
    I was thinking when you first start up the txv would be fully open because of the high load.
    Later as the cooler comes down to temperature the txv would be more closed, the liquid line would have more refrigerant backing up in it, the sight glass would then clear when the system was running in its normal range.

This would be accurate.... Hence why I said the system would be overloaded.. So I guess to answer your question, the charge should be verified when the box is close to set point, which in essence is where it will be running most of the time.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes

Correct
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Thread relocated to the refer section

Post Likes
    Make sure that this system does not have a suction to liquid line sub-cooler. I once had trouble clearing a sight glass on an R-12 system in the same manner. I discovered that the sub-cooler had internally ruptured and hp liquid was short circuiting into the suction line.

Post Likes
    Txv needs full column of liquid regardless of box temp. Full glass is not nessisarily full charge with receiver. Hot box and warm ambient charging to full glass will leave you grossly undercharged.

Post Likes
    I see everyone forgot the fact that its a reachin. It more than likely has a factory charge on the nameplate. If not then call the manufacturer. And dont say im just topping it off. thats like putting a bandaid on a compound fracture. If the unit is twenty years old with its second compressor in it then give a nice quote to fix it properly.Pull the charge and give it the factory charge. Dont rely on sight glasses. Especially when it was added in by the hack before you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    I see everyone forgot the fact that its a reachin. It more than likely has a factory charge on the nameplate. If not then call the manufacturer. And dont say im just topping it off. thats like putting a bandaid on a compound fracture. If the unit is twenty years old with its second compressor in it then give a nice quote to fix it properly.Pull the charge and give it the factory charge. Dont rely on sight glasses. Especially when it was added in by the hack before you.
    That is not necessarily true. I have a freezer at a gas station that is a reach in display case with the condenser outside. It is most certainly not a factory charge situation.

Post Likes
    I didn't hear anything about remote condenser anywhere in this thread. But I know that's true I used to take care of a few gas stations with reaching cools and freezers. No fun but pretty cut and dry usually

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Txv needs full column of liquid regardless of box temp. Full glass is not nessisarily full charge with receiver. Hot box and warm ambient charging to full glass will leave you grossly undercharged.
    I'll dispute that.

I've not seen a system with a receiver that won't clear the glass once the unit has settled down and come close to temp, in fact, part of the charging instructions include the step "clear the sight glass"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'll dispute that.

I've not seen a system with a receiver that won't clear the glass once the unit has settled down and come close to temp, in fact, part of the charging instructions include the step "clear the sight glass"
    I think you miss read. I said a full glass doesn't mean a full charge with a receiver. Do you dispute that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    I think you miss read. I said a full glass doesn't mean a full charge with a receiver. Do you dispute that?
    Maybe I did misread.

No, a full sight glass is just the beginning of charging a system properly.

I've repeated that advice hundreds of times.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Maybe I did misread.

No, a full sight glass is just the beginning of charging a system properly.

I've repeated that advice hundreds of times.
    Thank goodness. I thought you took up the crack pipe.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all your feed back.
    Not a pumpdown system.
    No suction to liquid line heat exhanger.
    Remote condensing unit. Not a self contained case.
    Got this quoted job from another guy. I replaced the compressor. 5 Lbs was reclaimed. I put 4 1/2 Lbs back in. Today I was later told the compressor was making noise before it quit. Now I'm glad I held back on the charge. If this wasn't quoted I'd want to go back to check a little deeper for compressor failure.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    I've seen a few larger Racks out there that won't clear the sight glass once settled down.

Typically on systems with over sized liquid lines. And low liquid velocities.

Laminar Flow...It's the Rivering Sight glass. You could fill the receiver to the max, and that glass wont clear.

However, this is absolutely not what you are experiencing.

charging a system with a receiver is all about receiver liquid level. You need enough liquid in the receiver to keep a level on your coldest day, there's calculations for this stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in