Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, thank you guys for proving that I'm not the only one who was having these worries...
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

Secure Boot (UEFI) may be Enforced in new Computer Hardware

Good day all,

I am hoping this does not come off as a rant, but there are some things brewing that could have some significant impact on the PC industry as well as industries that use PCs...

It looks like things are getting a bit more muddy and potentially a whole lot more complicated for users who wish to use new computers with older O/S's (Windows or Linux). You see there is a push by Microsoft (mainly) to force computer manufacturers to use a new Secure boot system (UEFI) embedded within the computer's motherboard. Basically this is low level firmware within the system BIOS (actually this is a new BIOS called UEFI) which verifies that the bootable software (O/S, etc) has not been tampered with. It verifies the boot software(O/S) via a Security Certificate (as I mentioned in my earlier post that is issued by VeriSign). The process in a nutshell is that the software provider purchases a security certificate (yearly fee to VeriSign), digitally signs their boot software, then submits it to Microsoft to create a signature that the software provider attaches to their boot software. On the surface this may not seem like a big deal, but rumor has it that Microsoft is pressuring hardware manufacturers to ensure that Secure boot cannot be disabled by the end-user...This is very concerning to me in that I should be able to boot whatever software I wish. Secondly I do not like Microsoft being my big brother and saying "yeah" or "nay" to some software given that they are the ones that issues the digital signature. The issue here is what if Microsoft decides that they do not like some other company's software and denies their boot signature and thus their boot-ability?

There is quite a lot on UEFI on the web and for those that are interested, here are some links I have been looking at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25980...oot_plans.html

Thankfully, there is work in the community to arrive at a solution:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...em-open-source

Anyway, my apologies for the thread diversion, but I thought it has some merit given how this whole Win 8 issue will affect us all.

Cheers,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by s2sam View Post
    Good day all,

I am hoping this does not come off as a rant, but there are some things brewing that could have some significant impact on the PC industry as well as industries that use PCs...
    <snip>
    Thankfully, there is work in the community to arrive at a solution:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-...em-open-source
    Sam
    Thanks for the info Sam.

I was irked when I read about UEFI since I'm a big Linux user, so I'm glad to hear that a solution with the pre-bootloader is being developed.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
    Thanks for the info Sam.

I was irked when I read about UEFI since I'm a big Linux user, so I'm glad to hear that a solution with the pre-bootloader is being developed.

Jim
    Good day Jim,

You are most welcome!

I am just saddened that there has been very little published regarding all of this Microsoft big brother nonsense. I do not know if it is just me, but I take great offense to these bullying Microsoft tactics all in guise of "security"... I say this as most of the Win 8 reviews tend to not mention these "security benefits", ahem, and how much impact they will and are creating... Hopefully more information will surface and more users push back so that some of the overly nasty "benefits" will be removed or at least be modifiable by the end user. After all it is user's hardware and they should be able to operate whatever O/S, etc they wish.

Cheers,

Sam

We had a good thing going for a few years... Maybe time to stick some Win 7 pro copies in carbonite for a rainy day!
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

Quote Originally Posted by knottyjabe View Post
    We had a good thing going for a few years... Maybe time to stick some Win 7 pro copies in carbonite for a rainy day!
    Good day,
    Not a bad plan... but there are a few wrinkles with this:

1. With UEFI and if it is enforced, then Win 7 (or any other old O/S) may be prevented from booting. However, with the efforts from the Linux crowd, this may be mitigated, but it is still a possibility.

2. With new hardware comes the need for drivers... and if the hardware drivers are not supported in Win 7, then you are somewhat hooped.

Now this all may be somewhat moot, as Win 7 "should" be around for a number of years yet. I believe XP support officially ends in 2014... XP support has been pushed back (I think twice now) do to some "influence" by some large Corporate customers and so that would mean Win 7 should be here until 2016+ (?? I am just guessing here). Now, whether you can still buy hardware to run Win 7 in the future is still up for debate.

Cheers,

Sam

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12