I am starting a boiler system in a new house. I want to know has anyone install a hot water baseboard system in PEX tubing, or used those shark bite fittings on boiler systems.

I've only used them in plumbing applications. They work great. They are approved for hydronic applications. If you use them in this install, let us know how you liked them. Thanks
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

Avoid PEX for high temp stuff like baseboard if you can,it will grow and droop enormously as it gets hot. Results? chafing hazards, noise, broken hangers...

Use Pex-Al-Pex instead..it's aluminum sheath will keep the pipe in shape, and it has about the same expansion characteristics as copper.

Near boiler piping should be in black or at least copper. Lots of stress around there between weight and future service etc.

Sharkbite would be ok away from the boiler.

Have installed 3 radiant floor jobs with hepex Uponor's pex tubing. Works great, its been tested for years and years at high pressure and high temp with no problem. near boiler piping could be done in multicor tubing which has a metalic sheath around the tube.

Thanks guys for your replys. The piping near the boiler is black iron, copper and sweat fitting. The shark bite fitting and only used in the 2nd floor of the house. The boss said something about the price on the shark bite fitting.

I'm thinking of replacing that valve, but would hate to heat-up a new valve, and that wall. Think a sharkbite will work here?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by lk View Post
    I'm thinking of replacing that valve, but would hate to heat-up a new valve, and that wall. Think a sharkbite will work here?

No, the sharkbite will spin. No problem soldering that valve.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by lk View Post

"that valve" looks threaded on to me. if not, plenty of room to solder

Smile Ginde Plastic Pipe Industry Group

Please contact me! We supply PEX-AL-PEX pipe for radiant floor heating. My telephone number is 86 13889217255 My email is ly_ginde@yahoo.ca

i used shark bites on one baseboard system. Was addind some baseboard and they work just fine and do save time on the install. Have to make sure they are all the way in