Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Controls Representation

I was wondering about the talent we have on HVAC Talk. It seems to me that pneumatics is well represented along with Johnson, Seimens, Trane etc... I was wondering about Honeywell, the "Big Red". It seems like you don't get many responses to Honeywell questions. We do have some people give responses, but not the numbers for other control lines. For example you ask a Metasys question and you get pages of responses. You ask a question about Honeywell and you can hear crickets. Are the Honeywell guys prohibited from sharing information or something?

I'm assuming this is coming from the fact no one responded to your question here:

EBI is a branch only product. There may be only a few Honeywell contractors who stuck around with SymmetrE (Basically EBI without security cameras / access control / fire alarm), but everyone else moved on to AX.

Sure

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    I'm assuming this is coming from the fact no one responded to your question here:

EBI is a branch only product. There may be only a few Honeywell contractors who stuck around with SymmetrE (Basically EBI without security cameras / access control / fire alarm), but everyone else moved on to AX.
    I just noticed we don't have the number of reponses on Honeywell that we do from other manufacturer lines. Then of course the conspiracy theory in me took over and I asked the question.

Hey Sinux. I did a large number of controls projects with a great team in AK in the 90's/2000 I remember the majority of buildings having Honeywell fire or controls. My point is that this does not reflex the rest of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    I was wondering about the talent we have on HVAC Talk. It seems to me that pneumatics is well represented along with Johnson, Seimens, Trane etc... I was wondering about Honeywell, the "Big Red". It seems like you don't get many responses to Honeywell questions. We do have some people give responses, but not the numbers for other control lines. For example you ask a Metasys question and you get pages of responses. You ask a question about Honeywell and you can hear crickets. Are the Honeywell guys prohibited from sharing information or something?
    My limited 2 cents.........we do alot of integration into all the different manufactures. We are also a Honeywell dealer........with that said, Honeywell is by far the most difficult. Why?......because with out the original job/project file of 90% of the jobs, you are screwed. With out writing it from scratch.

Also in our area.......Honeywell has had a very small presence up to the point that AX became king.

I was under the impression that there were quite a few Honeywell systems installed all over the country in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post

I also think most people moved on from pneumatics but quite a few people still respond to pneumatic questions. I thought maybe Honeywell prohibited their people from Hvac-Talk.

Still lots opf pneumatics around , not everyplace has upgraded to DDC . Honeywell has a forum site of their own that you can sign up for and many post on it.

I happen to be one of those contractors. I'm in Georgia and still have a lot of customers using SymmetrE and EBI.

My two cents (from a JCI employee point of view mind you)

Honeywell changed its strategy about 15 years ago from one of a branch centric focus, to one of a distribution model. If you look at their aquisitions, Notifier, Alerton, Novar, Phoenix, and of course, Tridium, all these products support this strategy.

Because of this, I can list on less then 10 fingers the number of times I've seen the Honeywell Branch competitively bidding on large scale jobs in the past 12 years (and I cover a significant chunk of the country. This isn't to say that Honeywell doesn't have large, EBI customers out there, expecially in the government. They definitely do, but their install base for this product is considerably less then what they had in previous generations of their product (Delta, Excel, etc).

Because of this shift to reps, I agree completely with digo, most are using the AX (also, EBI is only a branch based product as noted previously)

A typical bidders list for a large projet is JCI, Siemens, and then a strong local rep like Trane, Alerton, or TAC depending on the market. The reps typically are using AX which of course comes from Honeywell.

Sorry for the long winded answer as to why you don't see many EBI folks. Again, just my opinion, but I enjoy looking at the history of our industry, where it was, where it is, and where it is going.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.coffey View Post
    I happen to be one of those contractors. I'm in Georgia and still have a lot of customers using SymmetrE and EBI.
    I knew someone had to be maintaining htese systems out there!!!

Were too busy installing jobs and not playing on the internet! LOL. JK. I think there are a number of Honeywell people on here that I have seen but sometimes I think they are just reading and not posting. In anycase I'm a 10-Year Honeywell guy in the Controls group of Automation and Controls Solution. So for at least today(strike that) at least this minute there's representation.

Nice got my access denial email to the Honeywell forum yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast