Hybrid View

A good sample why I am not a friend of the union system we have

Below I have you a link to an article on Reuters which is a good sample why I don't like the Union system in the United States. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti union per se.
    Unions have a very important role to play in a capitalistic economy, but sadly the current Union system in the States can't fulfill this role.
    I believe we should look over the pond to Germany for a better system.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AC0HP20121113

And we elected a POTUS who is bought and paid for by unions. Smart country we live in....

OK, now that I have made my smart-ass comment... lets think about the article Toastos posted: two things come to mind:
    First: The city allowed this to happen. How? The voters were not paying attention. You see, govt is not something you can elect every couple of years and just ignore... rather they are public SERVANTS. And they will serve whomever greases their wheel the most. So it goes to reason if the citizens who want common sense in govt stay involved, their wheel of common sense (we could also say fiscal common sense if we wanted to) will get greased. If, however, the voters just vote and ignore... well the special interests will move in with buckets of grease... I think even a legally blind person can see we have that going on today in most govts (local, county, state, federal).

Second: IMO (and I want to stress this is GA's opinion); Voters should be looking at long term results rather than short term gains. Does it make more sense to vote for a big pile of $$$ this year, with no thought as to either who is gonna pay for it next year, or if the pile of $$$ can even be sustained year over year? Or does it make more sense to vote for a sustained amount of $$$ each year which is clearly payable?
    What I am saying is: Which is better: $195K income this year (just below the level the govt will rip you off) yet no plan for next year... or $100K each year for the next 10 years? I think we all know the answer to that one... so when do we start voting based on that level of wisdom?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

The city council (or at least their campaigns) was bought and paid for by the unions they were granting bennies to. Even FDR warned us about public sector unions. As soon as someone complains about the mounting costs, though, they are accused of being against fairly paying our men and women in uniform that put their lives in danger blah blah blah. Same goes on with teacher's unions every day in every state in the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    The city council (or at least their campaigns) was bought and paid for by the unions they were granting bennies to. Even FDR warned us about public sector unions. As soon as someone complains about the mounting costs, though, they are accused of being against fairly paying our men and women in uniform that put their lives in danger blah blah blah. Same goes on with teacher's unions every day in every state in the Union.
    Wonder how much economic pain it will take to get folks to quit listening to that blah, blah, blah... Anyone care to guess how bad it has to get before the voters will change the dirty diapers in govt?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by tostaos View Post
    Below I have you a link to an article on Reuters which is a good sample why I don't like the Union system in the United States. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti union per se.
    Unions have a very important role to play in a capitalistic economy, but sadly the current Union system in the States can't fulfill this role.
    I believe we should look over the pond to Germany for a better system.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AC0HP20121113
    i am with you, i am not a union hater (too much). that artical said alot. my main issue with the unions is the work ethics. this may even be just the unions around here, but they are very slow and get paid a whole lot to be that way. i have many friends in differant unions. i have seen first hand on many occasions union workers telling others to slow down, you are making us look bad, or we need to make this job last as long as we can. it drives me crazy knowing i can work circles around them but i am not allowed to. i could pay union dues i suppose but i get enough work without them.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i am with you, i am not a union hater (too much). that artical said alot. my main issue with the unions is the work ethics. this may even be just the unions around here, but they are very slow and get paid a whole lot to be that way. i have many friends in differant unions. i have seen first hand on many occasions union workers telling others to slow down, you are making us look bad, or we need to make this job last as long as we can. it drives me crazy knowing i can work circles around them but i am not allowed to. i could pay union dues i suppose but i get enough work without them.
    I've been in a trade union since 74 and have never been told to slow down. There are guys that feel so entrenched that they'll never be out of work. NYC and Chicago aren't typical of Union work ethics. I know you must realize work slow downs on good jobs don't exist on just a Union job. That's human nature for some types. Many I know take pride in busting a job out ahead of time. Most Union contractors might put up with a slacker when getting a job done is out front but they won't survive when the jobs done. Most are left on the bench and eventually go down the road. I am glad the difference between trade, manufacturing, and public sector has become more evident. There is a huge difference.
    Tracers work both ways.