Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leak Detectors... Thoughts...

So I'm on site today with a co-worker doing some leakchecking with my Inficon D-Tek Select. When he sees me with the inficon he says "what the hell are you using that piece of crap for"!

I little stunned, i said "I've never really had any problems with it and I can tell you, I've found some small ass leaks with that thing. The kind of leaks where you have to wait minutes for bubbles from the soap to form."

Co-worker swears by the H-10, which I can't fault him for, excellent detector...

Just looking for thoughts from you guys on the Inficons...

There's nothing wrong with your tester. There are those times when you're getting your butt handed to you that you might want to consider UV detecting.

The job is to find leaks. I don't care if you talk to the dead to find the leaks. I know a guy who swears by halide.

Quote Originally Posted by tcy612 View Post
    So I'm on site today with a co-worker doing some leakchecking with my Inficon D-Tek Select. When he sees me with the inficon he says "what the hell are you using that piece of crap for"!

I little stunned, i said "I've never really had any problems with it and I can tell you, I've found some small ass leaks with that thing. The kind of leaks where you have to wait minutes for bubbles from the soap to form."

Co-worker swears by the H-10, which I can't fault him for, excellent detector...

Just looking for thoughts from you guys on the Inficons...
    You co-worker was right Infijunks are a "piece of crap", they alarm at anything wind,farts, BO, you name it but refrigerant leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    You co-worker was right Infijunks are a "piece of crap", they alarm at anything wind,farts, BO, you name it but refrigerant leaks.
    I have had surprisingly good luck with my D-Tect...the original one, but it's biggest down fall for me is that the wires are run up through the flexible wand and over time they break but it's not obvious. I just started used the new one with the sensor in the body (left behind by a previous coworker) and it is better than I thought it was. Honestly, I have never used it to sniff my arm pits not have I farted in it so I can not ascertain its benefits or detractions in those areas. Who really cares what you use? If you are finding leaks then you have the right one. I don't think there is a best one (although the H-10 is probably pretty close)....some swear by certain brands and others swear at them.

I look at leak detectors like I do volt meters. Do you know how to use it well? Do you trust it? Have you had any reason to doubt it? Are you comfortable with it?

I have a dtek select and a tif zx a d have had very good luck.

I bought a tif xp-1a right out of school. I've never seen another one in the field, but it has made a lot of money. I like it over the inficon because it uses two "C" batteries. The biggest complaint on leak detectors that I hear is that the battery is always dead when you need them, or they don't hold a charge after a couple a years.

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    ...The biggest complaint on leak detectors that I hear is that the battery is always dead when you need them...
    That too sucked, but over time, I learned to work with it.

I just take the battery out of my zx after I'm done using it. I got my dtek in August and it's been charged ever since. Now that I say that, next time I get it out it'll be dead.

X2
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    That too sucked, but over time, I learned to work with it.

never used anything but a d-tek and the trusty ol halide! Love the halide. never had an issue with my d-tec either, and all the other techs here also use the h-10.

Thanks for the input guys

I had an inficon with the previous contractor for 4 years and only had to replace the batteries once.

Been with my current contractor for 4 years, bought the one have now the first week I started. Again, only had to replace the batteries once...

I should point out, EVERY time I'm working on machine, I give the machine a leak check (high side leak check for the LP machines). So I use it a lot...

Only problems I've heard of is that the unit would go off picking up a whiff of anything, farts, N2, whatever...

But... the people I've heard that from aren't actually "easy" on their tools...

Anyone else want to chime in??

I've noticed that blu leak detector trends to upset mine sometimes........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast