Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Lennox SL280v not set up for two stage

Post Likes
    The sad part is most customers don't even realize it. The system can operate that way for years before it cracks the heat exchanger, especially on systems that don't do a "lockdown" when it hits limit.

Post Likes
    I hear ya. "It's been that way for years. There is nothing wrong with it. You lie, get out my house"

Post Likes
    Im glad I switched to commercial. Airflow seems to be better on this side.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    You could have a Honeywell IAQ thermostat installed and this thermostat will not require you to have a new thermostat wire pulled. It can do 2 stages of heat with the current wires you have now.
    Is it true that it does not need a w2 wire? I thought that all thermostats compatible with 2 stage heat must use a w2 wire to control 2nd stage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Is it true that it does not need a w2 wire? I thought that all thermostats compatible with 2 stage heat must use a w2 wire to control 2nd stage.
    The way the IAQ works is it has 3 wires going to the thermostat from the EIM (interface module mounted near the furnace). The EIM is then wired to the furnace as most thermostats would be. It's a great thermostat and can be set up to control dehumidification in the summer. I agree with the suggestion to look into having one installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Im glad I switched to commercial. Airflow seems to be better on this side.
    Depends on the landlord/building you work on. I've seen some junk out there in commercial. Granted, it does seem more common in residential. We do 80% residential, and most of our commercial jobs are businesses that have 4 units or less. I certainly am NOT fond of working on rooftop units during freezing weather, but then again package units aren't much more fun.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    I hear ya. "It's been that way for years. There is nothing wrong with it. You lie, get out my house"
    Yeah, makes you wonder why they called you to begin with...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    The way the IAQ works is it has 3 wires going to the thermostat from the EIM (interface module mounted near the furnace). The EIM is then wired to the furnace as most thermostats would be. It's a great thermostat and can be set up to control dehumidification in the summer. I agree with the suggestion to look into having one installed.
    Thanks for the info. I just remembered that the thermostat for our downstairs system is a Honeywell visionpro IAQ. Our downstairs system is a dual fuel system and has a single stage furnace (which is a Lennox G40).

Post Likes
    The IAQ uses an interface module, known as an EIM. The EIM is mountd at teh furnace, and the furnace wires connect to it, including a W2 wire. Only 3 wires are used to connect to the thermostat on the wall.

Post Likes
    the answer to your question is yes, but....

IF your thermostat has a W2 then it is best to use it in most cases.

IF your thermostat does not have a W2, most furnaces can control the second stage by the board in it.

IF you use a more advanced thermostat, like the IAQ or others, the portion the home owner interacts with needs only 2 to 4 wires. HOWEVER, there is a remote module that has all the necessary terminals and it usually gets mounted near the furnace.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The IAQ uses an interface module, known as an EIM. The EIM is mountd at teh furnace, and the furnace wires connect to it, including a W2 wire. Only 3 wires are used to connect to the thermostat on the wall.
    Thanks. I can completely understand now. So the W2 wire will run from the furnace to the EIM. It will be a lot easier for the tech to install a Honeywell IAQ thermostat instead of having him run a whole new wire to the current thermostat from the furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    the answer to your question is yes, but....

IF your thermostat has a W2 then it is best to use it in most cases.

IF your thermostat does not have a W2, most furnaces can control the second stage by the board in it.

IF you use a more advanced thermostat, like the IAQ or others, the portion the home owner interacts with needs only 2 to 4 wires. HOWEVER, there is a remote module that has all the necessary terminals and it usually gets mounted near the furnace.
    Thanks very much. I appreciate the info. I'll look into the possibility of having an IAQ installed.

Post Likes
    One last quick question... What's your opinion on the Prestige IAQ Thermostat? I'm trying to decide between the Vision Pro IAQ and the Prestige IAQ.

Post Likes
    Here's another thread that may help:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....Vision-Pro-IAQ

Post Likes
    That thread was very helpful. Thanks! I will be going with the Prestige 2.0 IAQ over the Vision Pro IAQ. I like how the Prestige 2.0 can connect to the Internet which means I can adjust the temperature on my iphone as well as on the computer. This is something that the Vision Pro IAQ does not have. Thanks again! I appreciate it!

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 11-29-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    CHAINIK, , this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in