Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Lennox SL280v not set up for two stage

Post Likes

new Lennox SL280v not set up for two stage

I have a quick question regarding our new upstairs furnace that was installed last July.

Our Lennox SL280v was never wired for "true" 2-stage operation, so the unit runs on low fire for 7 minutes then switches to high. My question is, is it better to have true 2-stage operation where the furnace will only run in high stage when it needs to or is the setup fine the way it currently is? I would like to have true 2-stage operation but I want your opinions on it first. I'm surprised how the installers never ran a W2 wire to the thermostat. The technician who performed our furnace tune-up/inspection several weeks ago said that he could add a wire but said it was optional and it is not impossible to have one added. The thermostat is a Honeywell RTH6450D and it is compatible with multi-stage systems.

Post Likes
    Up to you. Set up as a two stage via the thermostat gives longer run times and increased comfort. Second stage has a better combustion efficiency so getting there from the timer is not a bad thing.

Post Likes
    As Marty stated. Having w1 and w2 hooked up at stat will be more comfortable to others.

Having the furnace fire in only w2 will save you more energy and give you the most heat.

A lot of people are against me but, I only set furnaces to high fire and tune them with a combustion analyzer. With certain formulas and data I can prove high fire costs less money and gives you more heat.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Our upstairs is 1400 sq. ft. and the furnace is 66,000 BTU input on second stage and 43,000 BTU input on first stage. Our furnace is the smallest size the SL280v it comes in. I think that having true two stage control will probably be more ideal because with the furnace running on low the majority of the time, it won't short cycle and will provide more comfort. Also since the upstairs only being 1400 sq. ft., 66,000 BTU sounds a bit too much so that will make the furnace rarely run on second stage.

Post Likes
    I feel it's just laziness on the part of the install company to sell a 2 stage furnace then not wire it properly, I wll say where I work they do the same crap

Post Likes
    Have it set up for 2 satage operation by the thermostat. It provides better comfort, by not giving you that sudden cool feeling when it shuts off like single stage furnaces do, or just running in high fire.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I feel it's just laziness on the part of the install company to sell a 2 stage furnace then not wire it properly, I wll say where I work they do the same crap
    X2

and the funny thing is the guys where I work say they set it up right, but the manual is still sealed in the package and I know they do not have the info from another source.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I'd just disable the 2nd stage entirely, it's not like you need it. The only time I would see the 2nd stage being handy is if you setback your thermostat at night and want it to warm up quickly in the morning.

Post Likes
    That's a modulating furnace, it shouldn't be set up for 2 stage operation anyways.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I can tell that obviously having the 2 stage control can provide better comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I'd just disable the 2nd stage entirely, it's not like you need it. The only time I would see the 2nd stage being handy is if you setback your thermostat at night and want it to warm up quickly in the morning.
    We always set back our thermostat at night time like for instance the thermostat is set at 67* all night and in the morning the setting goes up to 71*. That will probably be the only time the furnace will ever run in 2nd stage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    That's a modulating furnace, it shouldn't be set up for 2 stage operation anyways.
    No it isn't. The SLP98v is modulating. The SL280V is a 2-stage, variable speed 80% furnace.

Post Likes
    I knew that syndicated was wrong because I clearly checked Lennox's website.

Post Likes
    If your going to run in 1st stage all the time, have someone verify operation with combustion analyzer to make sure your flue gases are hot enough and they wont condense before leaving exhaust pipe, which would eat away the flue pipe and heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    No it isn't. The SLP98v is modulating. The SL280V is a 2-stage, variable speed 80% furnace.
    That's true that the SLP98v is modulating and the SL280v is only two stage. It clearly says it on Lennox's website.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    If your going to run in 1st stage all the time, have someone verify operation with combustion analyzer to make sure your flue gases are hot enough and they wont condense before leaving exhaust pipe, which would eat away the flue pipe and heat exchanger.
    Thanks. I'll call our HVAC company one day to take a look at that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Thanks. I'll call our HVAC company one day to take a look at that.
    FWIW I've never seen a flue pipe corrode in less than 20 years in the South. Heat simply doesn't run enough.

Post Likes
    You could have a Honeywell IAQ thermostat installed and this thermostat will not require you to have a new thermostat wire pulled. It can do 2 stages of heat with the current wires you have now.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    54regcab.....I guess it helps if I look at his location.

Yea it will take a while to rust out. It should still be properly tuned.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    54regcab.....I guess it helps if I look at his location.

Yea it will take a while to rust out. It should still be properly tuned.
    We have bigger fish to fry than combustion analysis. Down south we're simply trying to get the ductwork installed right for decent airflow It isn't uncommon for units down here to be riding the high limit switch...

Post Likes
    Wow...We have our fair share up this part too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in