+ Reply to Thread

Thread: minispit indoor at 4 ft high

Post Likes

minispit indoor at 4 ft high

99.5% used for heat, almost no call for AC in PNW if building in the shade.

Nearly all mini-split install guides say > 6.5 foot off the floor, makes sense for AC but not for heat.

Comments, opinions for best place for indoor unit for heat pump application?

Post Likes
    put it at chair height so i can rest my beer on it.thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Well was thinking of a shelf 2 ft above it, but could lower the minisplit to near the floor so a shelf over the top can be at beer can height?

Actuall, the top of most indoor sections are grills, so could not set beer directly on it <G>

Post Likes
    went back on others install of one at 3-4' off the ground. Among many issues, not one install procedure followed and guy high tailed it out of state, unit really is worthless for far reaching air flow.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Installed several of the mr slims and all according to mfg specs up high on walls. All heat pumps sized to room areas. They all perform well in heat mode this way too. I would stick to their recommendations. Might be worth a call to them directly tho.

Post Likes
    I have fitted thousands, approx 6 inch from the ground, went to Japan to get authorization, had manufactures come look.

And they work so much better for heating, cooling yes there is stratification problem.

I found it was best to disconnect the louver, and set parallel with floor, (a bit of sealant), this stops short cycling and gives a long throw across the floor. The room temp is unbelievably even (almost like static underfloor heating)

Remember that most mini splits have a big off set temp (5C '8F'), on heating mode (actual setting is higher than remote setting) This can be an issue but depends upon the make and minimum heat setting

Your require a minimum pipe run (line set I think you call it) of 2 meters, "6 feet". This is to do with the charge and reducing the chance of a wet suction.

all practical tests show a reduced running cost compared to up high mounting of around 40%. (split between reduced condensing pressures and low setting required for comfort. "warm feet, warm body"

Best of luck.

Post Likes
    Thanks barbar, that is the type of first hand practical experience I was seeking!

I'll take a look at reworking the louvers, may then even mount lower as you suggest.

Post Likes
    We used Carrier/Toshiba (same company)

The louver can be set with the remote, and some models have a memory. (many of the our clients were old, this is the reason for the disconnect "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid))

Make sure the unit is "not" one with a "fancy eye"

Ensure there is a free flow for the discharge air, and do not have the air directly pointing towards people.

We installed a lot under what we call a "sofa table"

Post Likes
    Here is a pic, of one in the my kids games room.

I was on the floor when i took it, normallyName:  2012-11-14 08.46.34 low level.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  50.7 KB at eye level you do not know it is even there.

Had to sneak in, as this room is a "no old fart room" ME

Post Likes
    x2 thanks barb
    read,learn,grow.....repeat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Here is a pic, of one in the my kids games room.

I was on the floor when i took it, normallyName:  2012-11-14 08.46.34 low level.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  50.7 KB at eye level you do not know it is even there.

Had to sneak in, as this room is a "no old fart room" ME

i was gonna say why dont you install it under the table while youre at it warm the knees, unbelievable you just did it.
    i think you need to clean filters more often then a high installed one

Post Likes
    They make heads for low wall mount, they're a bit more pricey though

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by must View Post
    i was gonna say why dont you install it under the table while youre at it warm the knees, unbelievable you just did it.
    i think you need to clean filters more often then a high installed one
    I have not seen any real issue, with extra cleaning, to get people into the habit of cleaning (regardless of what type or position), I tell them to use the electricity bill (monthly in NZ) as the reminder to clean, when the filter is clean it cheaper to run. This from experience did seem to stick in peoples mind.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    They make heads for low wall mount, they're a bit more pricey though
    We did many of these close to 10 years ago, when floor mounts were mega expensive (double the price), and still had poor air flow for heating.

Nowadays, the new Japanese styled units, have air flow that pushes across the floor (due to the experience in NZ , the Toshiba consule pushes 100% of the heated air at floor level, not split like other makes), and are only a little more expensive.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in