Appropriate humidity level in new home

My new home is heated with a HP with a 96% Infinity furnace for backup. Currently my humidity level is 32%. Is this sufficient? Mind you the daytime temps are still 40-50 and nighttime 28-35 where I live. What is considered to be an accepatable humidity level? Do you think a humidifier will be necessary here in northeast Pa?

RH 101

Pages 2 & 3 of article on Relative Humidity

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ative-humidity

x
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Name:  df6c6bfa2e36813405e28d2f491c08a7.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  86.9 KB

If condensation forms on your windows, that's a sign it's too high.

If your house is leaky, condensation may form on interstitial building components, particularly up high, as warm air leaving hits cold surfaces. You may eventually have rot and mold.

If you have high energy bills, and your humidifier has trouble maintaining target levels, that could be a sign you have a leaky house.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Seems rather low for a new home. They should be very tight which usually leads to high humidity.

If you are 32%RH with 28-35%RH outdoor dew points, expect the indoor %RH to decline directly related to the outdoor dew point.
    You will need more moisture as the outdoor dew point declines. How many occupants in the home? There is another great %RH doc on another thread. You need a couple lbs. of moisture per hour to keep the %RH up. One occupant contributes .5 lbs. per hour. Get +4 occcupants or a humidifier.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

It's only my wife and myself. Lately, the outdoor rh has been around 90% at night and 40 during the day.

Bald Loonie- Since it is only the two of us we don't generate much moisture since we don't fall asleep in the shower as our children used to as well as minimal cooking.

Is a a humidifier recommended based on what I'm saying.