Is my unit properly sized?
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread I was posting in....

I've been doubting my system is properly sized as of lately. I got to thinking, my 2 stage condenser was replaced with a one speed, 5 ton condenser. My house is 2300 sq. ft. I have no way of knowing what size rating my coil is. My furnace is a Lennox - G24M4/5-120A-2. My blower stats are found here: http://www.lennoxhellas.gr/2/G24M.pdf on page 5.

I was thinking my condenser may be too big, but now I'm not sure. My A/C doesn't run that long after it catches up in the evenings. I thought my house was a little humid, but the other day I checked with a Kestrel 4000 meter, and humidity was at 49% RH. So maybe I'm just a little crazy as well. Basically, I'd love for some opinions on where my system is close to right, or looks fishy. I know you need tons of data and load calculations to know for sure. But ball park it for me.

Oh, and just for giggles, could someone please confirm this is a TXV system.

I can say thats a TXV but load calculations vary on alot of stuff and area
    Knowledge comes with experience

That is a TXV...

You stated that you had a new condenser installed? That looks like an old Evaportor coil.. The coil should have been replaced at the same time as the new condenser, now your new condenser has all the same crap that was inside the old condenser(not good) and also the efficiency is only a guess to that frankenstein sysem..

Also your system is size at 460sf per ton which is alot of cooling for a house unless you are in Texas with lots of windows and not much insulation.. Have a proper load calc done(Manual J) or do your own: Click on the Hvac calc tab and you can do your own homeowner version for a small fee..

Goodluck
    J

Originally posted by Advanced Response
    That is a TXV...

You stated that you had a new condenser installed? That looks like an old Evaportor coil.. The coil should have been replaced at the same time as the new condenser, now your new condenser has all the same crap that was inside the old condenser(not good) and also the efficiency is only a guess to that frankenstein sysem..

Also your system is size at 460sf per ton which is alot of cooling for a house unless you are in Texas with lots of windows and not much insulation.. Have a proper load calc done(Manual J) or do your own: Click on the Hvac calc tab and you can do your own homeowner version for a small fee..

Goodluck
    J
    Frankenstein system....I like that
    Yea, I had to replace the condenser a few months after I bought the house, and that was 2 years ago. I was out of cash, thanks to closing costs of the house. The person doing the install said the indoor unit was relatively new. I do live in the south...Baton Rouge, LA. Very very very hot here in the summer, and lots of humidity. I wish I could move from this hell on earth. We have about 5 cool days a year, if we're lucky. You said my system is sized at 460 sq. ft. per ton, but that probably doesn't account for static pressure. I'll post a snap shot of my attic in the next post, so you can see the mess I have with ducts.

Also, I found some documentation on my control board, and it says my fan is 5 speed, with 3 taps that plug into the board. If I have someone come do a Manual J, maybe I can have them drop my fan speed by one. (The PDF only shows 3 speed settings. ) Hmmm....contradicting information.

This is my mess of a ductwork system. Notice the flex coming off the top of the plenum. That was an afterthought I guess, thanks to a previous owner closing in a back porch and making it the "sun room". Yea, like I need a sun room with a wall of glass in this hot nasty state. There''s another flex duct on the other side of the plenum, and it goes to a bathroom. I've never lived in a house that had A/C ducts in the bathrooms, before this house. Now I've seen it in a few other houses. Still not common, from what I've seen. So if my system is just a little oversized, I could always expand, right? I'm only kidding.