Trane CleanEffects PreFilter

Hi

I have a Trane Clean Effects system
    Model Number FD245ALFR000A

My question is, I want to replace the pre-filter because it has been getting dirtier over the years.

There is a replacement Plastic Filter

http://www.filtersusa.com/show_detai...81&brandid=128

Or can I replace it with a HEPA Filter, which the seller says fits in the Trane model

http://www.filtersamerica.com/produc...4&ptx=1&bid=28

Please advise what is the best option.

Thanks,
    Raj.

Use the Trane OEM replacement. The HEPA filter you listed will not work with your Clean Effects.

Not HEPA

MERV 11 isn't a HEPA filter -- not even close. It's so wrong, I wouldn't shop at filtersamerica.com. What else will they also tell you that's wrong?

I am not familiar with the Trane Clean Effects so I can't tell you if the part at filtersusa.com is the correct OEM one, or not. However,

filtersusa.com has address 63.236.78.72
    filtersamerica.com has address 63.236.78.71

filtersamerica and filtersusa are very close neighbors and are likely the same people.

Very interesting, seems FiltersUSA and FiltersAmerica are the same.

I did a quick google search and it gave me the profile of the person on LinkedIn who owns both.

Thank you for the information

Brent, can I still use my IQ Air Perfect 16, meant for a 5 ton unit, as a pre-filter for the Trane "CleanEfects" filter I am having installed on my new 5 ton Tane Unit ? Thanks for your advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Use the Trane OEM replacement. The HEPA filter you listed will not work with your Clean Effects.

Trane CleanEffects PreFilter

Quote Originally Posted by tedrhoads View Post
    Brent, can I still use my IQ Air Perfect 16, meant for a 5 ton unit, as a pre-filter for the Trane "CleanEfects" filter I am having installed on my new 5 ton Tane Unit ? Thanks for your advice....
    I would advise against it.

The pressure drop will be too great and cause poor airflow, poor performance, and premature compressor failure.

Ok. One more thing Brent - if it were you, and you already owned the IQ Air Perfect 16 whole home Filter Box, would you keep it, or instead, throw it away and install the Trane Clean Effects filter system? I really appreciate your candor and knowledge and value your advice. Thank you...

OK Brent, again, that was some super advice. Now that I understand the filter situation, since my house is VERY tight, I would like to bring in some fresh air during the filter/cooling cycle. What is the best way to do that....I guess I can ask to have the installer run a 4 inch flex to the outside and attach the other end of that to the box that my filter is housed in so that I suck in some fresh air while the unit is running. Or would you suggest some more intricate method to introduce a modicum of fresh air to the home, something like the Trane "Fresh Effects" http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...s-air-cleaners

My house is VERY tight and I have to get some fresh air into the system somehow. It is HOT here is Arizona and just opening a window a sliver is not practical. I wonder if you have some wise thoughts on this too. Thank you Brent.

Ted,

I've had a lot of experience with the Clean Effects and it is a great reliable product. Unfortunately, I've had no experience with the IQ perfect filters so I cannot give a fair comparison.

Fresh air intake. I've installed the "Fresh Effects" and also the Aprilaire damper kit w/control.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453055571

Have your contractor calculate your fresh air intake according to ASHRAE 62.2 standards. Once that is determined, he can tell you which options would be best.