Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Where have you been? They are sold to the general public via the internet and various supply houses.
    I'm refering to the other outlets that sell electrical and plumbing equipment to the general public

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    That might of been true about the Carrier, Trane. York and the other name brands, but they were more about protecting their dealer network. I'm refering to walking into a hardware or big box store and buying everything you need. Could you compete against that?
    Not only can one, I have and have been successful.

Remember Ace: I received my license in 2002 (June to be exact). Before that I was running a co doing remodeling projects (mostly basements). And I bought most of my stuff at HD and Lowes... because it was easier and I could hand pick each part (all the lumber was straight, all the SR was clean, all the cabinets were still in the box and not dinged, etc). Made a tidy living...

The customers were buying ME, not the product.

You see, we have to learn to sell OURSELVES, rather than the product.

And IMO we also need to learn to walk away from folks who are not good customers. Old saying about sales; the 20/20/60 rule (some say 10/10/80): 20% will be easy sales, 20% will not buy, and the other 60% will be work. IMO we need to forget that rule and follow this one: If I can maintain a 2/3 to 3/4 close ratio let the difficult ones go, as they are not worth the hassle.

Now think about this Ace: If I choose to WALK AWAY from folks who are not smart enough to see beyond only price... then I do not have to deal with that. Now take a BIG picture look at the market; one will find the majority of work IS done for good $$$. Only a small % of work is done by craigslist guys... One just has to learn to do business beyond price... rather sell themselves. Having said this, few learn this at a weekend seminar... it seems they have to go broke to learn... however that is a different post.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Where have you been? They are sold to the general public via the internet and various supply houses.
    I'm refering to the other outlets that sell electrical and plumbing equipment to the general public
    All one has to do in the HVAC business is (respectfully, this is important) remind the customer there is NO warranty at all when they buy the item online. Take them to the co website and show them. Then politely (the politely part is important) ask them if they think a manufacturers warranty is important... and be quiet. I guarantee you, they will squirm a little and become a bit more agreeable. Will you get every sale this way... no. However you will sort out real quickly which customer you want to work for and which one you do not.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

That might of been true about the Carrier, Trane. York and the other name brands, but they were more about protecting their dealer network. I'm refering to walking into a hardware or big box store and buying everything you need. Could you compete against that?
    I do think about walking into home depot or lowes one day and seeing right next to the filters and themostats that they already sell and now seeing, capacitors and contactors, 410 refrigerant etc. That could hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I do think about walking into home depot or lowes one day and seeing right next to the filters and themostats that they already sell and now seeing, capacitors and contactors, 410 refrigerant etc. That could hurt.
    I hear you guys complain about homeowners being able to buy equipment online but I don’t get it. Everything in remodeling (flooring, lumber, cabinets, doors, windows, roofing, finish plumbing & electrical etc) can be purchased by the HO with a warranty. The performance of those products are also very dependant on the quality of installation, yet warranties are offered. The same for everything in the automotive industry.

You guys should be thankful that the equipment manufacturers are screwing the online buyers out of a warranty just so you can purchase it and mark it up. That is not typical with any other product in the construction or automotive industries. But I would bet that as soon as the big boxes start selling that equipment they will force the equipment manufacturers to warranty it. That is when your gravy days will be over like the rest of us.

I think it is too late. HD was selling Slantfin boilers awhile back, I don't know if they still do. And no I wouldn't install it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I hear you guys complain about homeowners being able to buy equipment online but I don’t get it. Everything in remodeling (flooring, lumber, cabinets, doors, windows, roofing, finish plumbing & electrical etc) can be purchased by the HO with a warranty. The performance of those products are also very dependant on the quality of installation, yet warranties are offered. The same for everything in the automotive industry.

You guys should be thankful that the equipment manufacturers are screwing the online buyers out of a warranty just so you can purchase it and mark it up. That is not typical with any other product in the construction or automotive industries. But I would bet that as soon as the big boxes start selling that equipment they will force the equipment manufacturers to warranty it. That is when your gravy days will be over like the rest of us.
    The difference Brian is: There is not enough profit at the manufacturing level in equipment to cover the monetary damage non-trained installs would do to the manufacturers. Janitrol (now Goodman) is a prime example of that.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The difference Brian is: There is not enough profit at the manufacturing level in equipment to cover the monetary damage non-trained installs would do to the manufacturers. Janitrol (now Goodman) is a prime example of that.
    It still does not make sense to me. How could the warranty dept of all other types of equipment, materials and product operate in the black when they would operate in the red? They currently cover equipment installed by hacks which would be far more than the number of HO’s taking on the job and damaging equipment. Also, damage to equipment is usually traceable back to the root cause. Installation errors would be obvious and exempt from coverage irrespective of who installed it.

Pardon my skepticism, but I don’t buy it. Not when they are the only guys on the block doing it.

Janitrol went broke and was bought by Goodman in the 1990's... the reason was Janitrol sold furnaces to anyone (no license required), yet warranted them the same as units being installed by pro's. As we all know; units installed by pro's tend to last longer.

I think with furnaces it is not as big a deal... but with AC it is definitely a big deal.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Printer inquiring minds want to know. Who's side are you on here? I know you are a "moderate" liberal shall we say but do you agree with the Democratic Party of today that is gone off the far left cliff into Marxism?

I hope not. Even if you personally may not care for everything the Republicans stand for, they are at least trying to pull the breaks on the communist "State" the Democrats are racing towards. Just curious. Thank you, thank you very much
    As Robo sells himself (but the words seem hollow), I am fiscally conservative but socially a liberal. I believe that the people have a right to collectively pull together for the common good but that they should be willing to pay for it rather than send the bill onward to others.

As far as the Democrats in your country, well I have said before the election that I would have liked to see the Republicans win. I do not think the Democrats are as far gone as you think but I also think they are further than is good for you. Sorry for answering so late to your question , I have other pressing issues at the moment and not a lot of time to spend with you guys.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

8 pages of Crap

I read this whole friggin thread hoping to find atleast ONE person who could honestly tell us what Their POTUS was going to do with our country

If I listen to the Radio talk show hosts , we are in for a disaster and will ultimately end up like other countries in shambles

SOMEBODY tell me thats not true ....

It's not true. It's radio

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    If I listen to the Radio talk show hosts, we are in for a disaster and will ultimately end up like other countries in shambles.
    A good friend of mine gets all of his information from Fox News. The poor guy thinks the world is going to end.

For those on this thread waiting for how Obama is going to wave his magic wand to fix this country maybe you can tell us how Romney was going to wave his?

Romney lost because he never told us either.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast