Thread: Is it right

Is it right

My work does hot and cold side. I'm cold side only but when I'm on call I get like all hot side calls. I have to go but don't know much about this stuff. Is it right for company to send someone unqualified to do these calls cuse it all they have. I just can't see the justification in me going to fix hot side equipment with no parts it experience to do so. On call today and just got call for a steak place with flat top,2 ovens and a fryer down.

I worked a job like that years ago, it was rough. Looking back though it was a education. That education has been with me since. Good luck
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

We have hot side guys on call with us. IMO it's not fair to your customers.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

That's kinda how I feel I'll run the call but the customer is getting screwed

2sac: Are you're Com. Food Equipment Service Techs also in the 597?

No

I have some questions for you 2sac. Can a CFES Tech that also works on Light Com. Ref. be in the 597? I assume that'd be C Card if anything. Also are Supermarket Ref. Techs B Cards?

In answer to your first question, I'm not sure. I'd imagine that would depend on the shop. Our hot side is a different division and charges a lower labor rate. Trucks are also stocked differently. Their benefits are offered thru the shop and not the union.You may get your foot in the door somewhere, but to work light com you'll need the card. As far s the supermarket work, The shop that does the majority of the market work in the area has a 35 man shop and, from what I understand, has mostly B&C cards. The major markets go out for bid on their contracts, and supply the refrigerant. Also their labor rates are roughly 2/3 the average street rate. That's why there are not many/any A cards.

I've been trying to reach out to any Hill-Phoenix or Hussmann Union guys to see how they're doing it. Hussmann Services is non-Union here and with only a $65-$70/Hr. rate there's no way they can afford a $50/Hr. Service Jm total package. If that's not shooting yourself in the foot I don't know what is.
    If Hill-Phoenix, Hussmann, McQuay, or Trane are running non-Union branches, they should still price themselves as if they were Union because you never know when the Techs are going wise up and organize.

I agree with Tinman. I was in your position a year ago. I worked as a cold side/ice machine person, but they threw anything and everything at me. I considered it an education and I am glad that I can walk into a restaurant and fix just about everything they have. The only thing I was afraid of was those TurboChef ovens, but even tech support got me through those. I am out of the restaurants now and making better money and benefits, but if I am layed off, I won't hesitate to go back to the food side if I have to. Do yourself a favor and buy those two restaurant equipment books - I think the red one is electric and the blue one is for gas appliances. Those books sat for a long time, but got me out of many jams where I had never seen some of those combustion methods.

P.S. I hate fryers too!

I'd say if you are compatent ref tech you can handle 95% of the hot side stuff. Most of it is pretty straight forward. If you can troubleshoot a control Circut on ref you can troubleshoot a control circut on a steamer. Don't doubt your ability to work through these things.

Biggest thing for me is I live in south Florida where we use heat once a year. So my heating and especially gas skills are subpar. Everything in hot side is gas where we never see gas heat in this area. Maybe here and yhere