Hi all - apologies in advance for being the typical first time poster asking the same questions...

Just had a Trane installed to replace an old York - I'm concerned about the state of the install. There are a few air leaks which seem standard but there's one that has some force to it and general appearance.

When I called the contractor to mention my concerns, he said he'd send someone over to duct tape them over - which set off all warning bells for me.

Obviously I know nothing about furnaces and wish I'd heard of this place earlier - oh well

Any opinions on the install are appreciated!

[Edited by garethpd on 11-02-2006 at 09:14 AM]

Looks like they didn't even touch the coil at all. I would not use duct tape since they dry out.

I would of replaced the whole duct where the A/C coil is in, otherwise, seal it off with foil tape.

This is problem waiting to happen!! I would remove the humidifer drain from the a/c. If the hose (I would replace it all to PVC) would plug up, the water from the humidifer would back up into the coil, then down in the furnace.

Also, the white flex, get rid of that and replace it with metal or semi flex metal.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any ideas on how to handle it? We went brand name and with one of the highest of the quotes we got, hoping to get good quality in return...Now I'm not sure we made the right choice...

Thanks!

change the drain-mastic the seams
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

looks like they installed furnace ok... all of the other duct work was exsisting and would cost more $$$ to replace...

just my thought..

Originally posted by garethpd
    Thanks for the info. Do you have any ideas on how to handle it? We went brand name and with one of the highest of the quotes we got, hoping to get good quality in return...Now I'm not sure we made the right choice...

Thanks!
    Just be honest and express concern.

-White plastic flex will dry out over time, and fall apart. Metal or semi ridge meetal is better.

-Concern about the humidifer T'ed into the A/C drain.. If the drain plugs up below, the water will back up into the coil, and overflow into the furnace itself.

Otherwise, everything else looks fine. I would of changed out the metal for the A-Coil, but that can be done if you put in a new A/C.

All joints should have mastic on them not tape. The coil should have been replaced with the furnace. It would have made it a nicer install.

HD strikes again.

is that canvas completely collapsed?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

i cant tell from the picture so i may be wrong. is there a handle on the gas cock prior to entering the furnace, for ease of turning off the gas in an emergency? are permits/inspections required in your area, if so was it done?

Just curious, did the installer quote you a price to replace the sheet metal all the way up?