Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen intake elbow.

Post Likes
    Hello, we live in a 1 year old, energy star home. We have 90+ high efficiency furnace. I noticed this morning we had some water dripping onto the basement floor. Upon closer inspection I seen it was coming from the intake pipe. It was frozen and dripping water. I'll post some pictures to help out. Why would this be happening? It is only -15C outside and gets much colder during Jan and Feb. I'm worried...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Is your basement conditioned space?

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    It is because it is not insulated.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    By conditioned what do you mean??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Needingadvice View Post
    By conditioned what do you mean??
    Are you in southern alberta? I ask because its probably the only place it's -15 in all of North America right now.
    That pipe should be insulated all the way to your return air trunk, the ice on the pipe is frozen moisture from your home.
    If there is a damper on that pipe, (a small handle) closing it may help.

Post Likes
    The cold, below freezing outdoor air is causing the warmer basement air to cool on the pipe surface, which reduces the temperature sufficiently to cause condensate water to form on the pipe. It is further exacerbated because the incoming air is below freezing, causing frost to form on the pipe. I'd recommend an HRV be professionally installed. The HRV (heat recover ventilator) will remove Btu's of heat from air being removed from the home and deposit them into the incoming air, thus warming it to some extent. This will save you some energy rather than having that -15°C cold air going directly into the return air for the home.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Lol, yes we are in Southern Alberta. I contacted my home builders new Hvac company and they said they will come out next week to address the problem. Frustrating considering this is a brand new home...

Post Likes
    I notice by the joists you probably paid more than a couple bucks for that place.

Ask them about putting an hrv in. New homes are too tight for a passive fresh air supply to do any good, especially when they're not installed correctly. If you don't have any luck with them, call my company.

Post Likes
    The scary thing in all of this is the seemingly lack of knowledge by the company or more the employees that installed this furnace and ducts. Especially living in southern Alberta where the temps can drop to -35C at times. Makes you wonder what else wasn't done correctly. So should this be something covered by new home warranty?

Post Likes
    Thanks syndicated, sounds like a plan. Are they much to install?

Post Likes
    Thanks syndicated, sounds like a plan. Are they much to install?
    We can't discuss pricing ofcourse, but they're not too bad.
    The frozen pipe issue would be covered by new home warranty. Hrv install wouldn't be. Perhaps you could make an arrangement with the company?
    Or if you're near Calgary, call Arpi's.

Post Likes
    Thanks a ton everyone for all the great info. I'm down in Lethbridge Syndicated so I'm not sure your company would drive 2 hours for a small job, but I'll mention the HRV to my local company on Tuesday and get a quote.

Post Likes
    in pictures 1 and 3 there is a handle on the duct, CLOSE it!!! you might also go to the outside of the house where the intake to this is and block it with something to keep that air from even getting into the pipe.

a little education;

this is a fresh air intake and not combustion air for the furnace. this can be on any unit,(gas, electric, oil) not just a 90% furnace.

as has been said this needs to be addressed by the installation company. others can speak to the effectiveness of insulation on that pipe, but why bring in cold or hot air to condition it, especially in extreme temperatures!!??

I would think insulation would only shift the freezing/condensation to the return duct where this connects.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    in pictures 1 and 3 there is a handle on the duct, CLOSE it!!!

a little education;

this is a fresh air intake and not combustion air for the furnace. this can be on any unit,(gas, electric, oil) not just a 90% furnace.

as has been said this needs to be addressed by the installation company. others can speak to the effectiveness of insulation on that pipe, but why bring in cold or hot air to condition it, especially in extreme temperatures!!??
    Because a fresh air supply no less than 12' upstream of the blower is code in this jurisdiction.
    The damper is cut in half to prevent closing off the supply completely.

Post Likes
    I like to run my vs speed furnace fan year round, so would closing the damper effect this in anyway??

Post Likes
    I like to run my vs speed furnace fan year round, so would closing the damper effect this in anyway??
    It won't affect the fan itself.
    I'm not familiar with city code in lethbridge. In Calgary, on a new home, the fresh air intake must be balanced against the exhausted air through range hoods, bathroom fans and any other powered exfiltration of air.
    All these systems should also be interlocked together so when one exhaust comes on, a powered intake fan will turn on to make up the lost air.
    This is thermally inefficient, hence the HRV.

Post Likes
    I think that it was balanced this way when we moved in as when we turned on switch, the bathroom fans went on also. We had ac installed in spring and they made it so we could run furnace fan without activating bathroom fans etc.

Post Likes
    Well they came back and fixed the problem I hope. They ended up insulation the pipe itself. Is this a satisfactory fix? Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355883223.637839.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  42.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355883238.070661.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  47.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355883257.200689.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  46.3 KB

Post Likes
    Check the insulation around the pipe periodically to make sure it is not holding moisture but I would expect with those types of tempuratures that the problem will just move inward toward the duct itself. The HRV is the best solution.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    I asked him about an HRV and he said it wouldn't be a good solution. Instead he said he could install a fan in the ducts that would warm the air before it hit the furnace. I don't know enough to know what to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in