+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Digi Cool AK900 leak

Post Likes

Unhappy New Digi Cool AK900 leak

So, I've been waffling over a set of digital gauges, and after much research and decision making, I finally bit the bullet and picked up the Digi-Cool AK900.

Upon initial assembly of the new AK900, I discovered there was a leak on the low side where the manifold connects to the DRSA. After applying nylog and re-seating, I tested with nitrogen and the manifold and hoses showed no leaks at any point, so I figured it was good to go...

Working on 134a cap tube reach in that wasn't pulling down to temp, got to work, and after charging the system, during final checks as it was pulling down to temp, found that AGAIN, the low side connection to the manifold of the DRSA was leaking, so I took them off.

Later I hooked up my nitrogen bottle and found gas blowing out of the low side connection to the AK900, same place as before, right out at the connection to the manifold! I looked over the fittings again, re-seated and AGAIN pressure tested it, and have no idea why it suddenly let vapor blow out like that, after also holding pressure for some time when charging... The nitrogen stream at 100psi was quite audible and obvious.

The AK900 manual explicitly cautions against overtightening these, but perhaps I took this too seriously.

I'm so bummed, I now don't trust these gauges / manifold 100%, has anyone else seen this?! Perhaps I didn't seat them right, or there was a spec of machine chaff or flash in there, I visually inspected the seat and connection points and all seemed fine. This will be the third time I've connected the manifold to the AK900 and we'll see how it goes!

Post Likes
    Had the same issue. Nylog and tightening the fitting took care of it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Is it the NPT side of the fitting that threads into the manifold?

Post Likes
    I had the same problem when I got mine. Just wrenched it with more muscle than the manual said I should do. Lol

3pt - sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Post Likes
    Thanks all, I'll tighten those connections a little bit and see how it goes!

FWIW - the leak is at the nut that connects the manifold to the AK900 not the NPT side, those seem secure.

Post Likes
    My high-side valve on my 9-month old AK's have started leaking. Anyone know if there is a repair part that is field-replaceable?
    I've emailed Brenda, just waiting for a response.

Post Likes
    Subscribing.... wonder if this is a wide spread issue.

I've been on the fence with these for quite some time. I always end up one click away from confirming my order.

Post Likes
    I bought a set of AK900 Gauges last summer and the only problem I had was the high side hose connection leaked after hooking up to a running system. I tightened it down good (don't be scared) with a pair of channel locks and it solved the problem. I will probably take it apart and use nylog on it before the cooling season comes up next year. Other than that small (easily fixable) problem I have had nothing but positive things to say about these gauges. To anyone that is on the fence about these, buy them, you will not be disappointed!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by filiberto View Post
    My high-side valve on my 9-month old AK's have started leaking. Anyone know if there is a repair part that is field-replaceable?
    I've emailed Brenda, just waiting for a response.
    What do you mean by leaking?

Did you try tightening up that allen screw on the side of the manifold? I would bet that is your issue!
    Be careful, It does not take much. Youll fell the knob hard to turn if you over tighten it.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I had to tighten that Allen screw as mine was leaking into the system not out. It was a WIF that I just had repaired a leak on. I added adequate charge to start the pull down ... go inside to check temps . . Came back to roof to see the left half of manifold frozen over including my hose. Checked the scale and it was -3lbs from where I left it. Not an overcharge as a result but could of been. The valve was off ... tightened the screw been ok since. I can tell from the way these are assembled they do not test them at the factory which I bet isn't uncommon for a manifold. The gauge itself have been good. Only thing that irks me is the fact I can't have equal pressures other than 0

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Only thing that irks me is the fact I can't have equal pressures other than 0

Have you tried to zero them under a low vacuum in the psia mode?
    Depending where you are they will not read zero psig
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Only thing that irks me is the fact I can't have equal pressures other than 0

The low side transducer has a higher sensitivity and will read slightly different to the high side.
    Last edited by kiwireeferman; 01-08-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: missing text

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    So, I've been waffling over a set of digital gauges, and after much research and decision making, I finally bit the bullet and picked up the Digi-Cool AK900.

Upon initial assembly of the new AK900, I discovered there was a leak on the low side where the manifold connects to the DRSA. After applying nylog and re-seating, I tested with nitrogen and the manifold and hoses showed no leaks at any point, so I figured it was good to go...

Working on 134a cap tube reach in that wasn't pulling down to temp, got to work, and after charging the system, during final checks as it was pulling down to temp, found that AGAIN, the low side connection to the manifold of the DRSA was leaking, so I took them off.

Later I hooked up my nitrogen bottle and found gas blowing out of the low side connection to the AK900, same place as before, right out at the connection to the manifold! I looked over the fittings again, re-seated and AGAIN pressure tested it, and have no idea why it suddenly let vapor blow out like that, after also holding pressure for some time when charging... The nitrogen stream at 100psi was quite audible and obvious.

The AK900 manual explicitly cautions against overtightening these, but perhaps I took this too seriously.

I'm so bummed, I now don't trust these gauges / manifold 100%, has anyone else seen this?! Perhaps I didn't seat them right, or there was a spec of machine chaff or flash in there, I visually inspected the seat and connection points and all seemed fine. This will be the third time I've connected the manifold to the AK900 and we'll see how it goes!
    Sorry bud, I assume you are an engineer and have trouble making a simple connection! OMG.

Post Likes
    If I'm not mistaken there is has been a lot written on the AK900
    concerning the leak problem. Can't see where the advantage of owning one would be an reason to buy one.

Post Likes
    If I'm not mistaken, a lot has been written-about the leak the AK 9000 has. What is the advantage of owning one in that case? Takes away the confidence that inspires a person to want one.

Post Likes
    The ole leaky ball valve strikes again and I have to call tech support. Lmao!

3pt - sent this from his DUMB-PHONE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, a lot has been written-about the leak the AK 9000 has. What is the advantage of owning one in that case? Takes away the confidence that inspires a person to want one.
    The leak is not really in the gauge but in the manifold you can buy it with. If I decide that I want it I'll simply buy it without the manifold and put it on on I know is good.

Post Likes
    If I'm not mistaken there is has been a lot written on the AK900
    concerning the leak problem. Can't see where the advantage of owning one would be an reason to buy one.
    There has been a lot written about others manufacturers too. The advantage with Digi-Cool is you can put it on any manifold you want. If you have a favorite one that never leaks use that one. Most of them of them that are permanently attached to the manifold. Some of them make you send the whole thing back to the factory be serviced so you have nothing but a wet finger to test with till it gets back.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    There has been a lot written about others manufacturers too. The advantage with Digi-Cool is you can put it on any manifold you want. If you have a favorite one that never leaks use that one. Most of them of them that are permanently attached to the manifold. Some of them make you send the whole thing back to the factory be serviced so you have nothing but a wet finger to test with till it gets back.
    Tes, but what i don't seem to get is that they think is a forgivable defect. I have read the archives before registering and have found copious mention of other refer analyzers with a similar malfunction and the owners were not the least bit forgiving of the gauge st, in fact the criticism is so extreme as to be demonizing.

Why does the AK900 get a pass on the same malfunction?

Post Likes
    Tes, but what i don't seem to get is that they think is a forgivable defect. I have read the archives before registering and have found copious mention of other refer analyzers with a similar malfunction and the owners were not the least bit forgiving of the gauge st, in fact the criticism is so extreme as to be demonizing.

Why does the AK900 get a pass on the same malfunction?
    There seem to be two different problems. One I know nothing about and the other I'm with kiwi as I've made this connection plenty of times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in