+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need a ratician

Post Likes

need a ratician

That's only a portion of the wiring on a 26 year old Heil, on it's side in an attic but still as big as a damn basement freezer. There are no less than five relays on it, a couple being added later for whatever purpose. Apparently on this model they had separate xfmers, relays and everything for both heating and cooling. I couldn't wrap my head around it in the brief time I was up there.

Another contractor had so mangled the job of putting in a heat pump over this past vicious summer that the H/O gave up and got by on a window unit. Now the blower will not come on after the furnace fires (thank God it did fire on emergency heat).

I took one quick look at that mess and grabbed L1 off the primary side of the heating xfmr and put it to a low motor speed, verified common and let 'er rip long enough to make sure it was enough air to avoid tripping on limit. Continuos blower operation while d/c is on and heat will cycle via stat to get him by until we can replace everything.

Ironically, I had just received my RSES Residential Troubleshooting book which seems to have a very detailed section on reading schematics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Being able to read the schematic isn't always the greatest tool but being able to draw your own schematic from hacked up wiring is.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Being able to read the schematic isn't always the greatest tool but being able to draw your own schematic from hacked up wiring is.

I can see how that would be true; though I believe you would have to master the former before being able to do the latter.

But I'm guessing you mean drawing your own correct schematic as opposed to schematically representing messed up wiring?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I can see how that would be true; though I believe you would have to master the former before being able to do the latter.
    So true.

Post Likes
    I vote for rip it all out and start over. That's a redonkulous mess. Agreed on both points of reading diagrams and making your own. Keep in mind there are tons of different ways to wire something and still have it be functional and safe. A good 15 minutes of "studying" the wiring, you'll be on your way. Helps me to talk it out.....

Post Likes
    I'm sitting here studying a RSES book on schematics on a Saturday night. Only because the wife is away on business - I'd never get away with this much HVAC time if she were here. But she does appreciate the fact that she is comfortable now no matter where she goes in the house. We have no less than 4 ACs including the regular split; I got big time husband points for the LG portable below in the room she suddenly proclaimed her aerobics room. Some kind of program called the "insanity" workout...with a big black guy screaming at her on the dvd as she makes noises I've never heard.

I don't really care to even go into that room anymore.

But I've found it's best just to keep them cool when they turn fifty. And not proclaim when they get their AARP mailings to "open it quickly - time is short..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes

But I've found it's best just to keep them cool when they turn fifty. And not proclaim when they get their AARP mailings to "open it quickly - time is short..."
    Now that's funny I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Why do some guys get it and some don't ? I sure know I don't and now I'm not getting it

Post Likes
    Kind of going through the same scenario here in Houston, I did mine with a mini-split and before any work out begins I swear you could hang meat in that room. At night when sleep comes she is under 3 Quilts. Sometimes in the middle of the night she gets up and yells "Why is it so damn hot in here". Footnote- I havn't gotten it on the side for so long, I didn't know they moved it ! -GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Post Likes
    i vote rip it out and start over.

Post Likes
    Some kind of program called the "insanity" workout...with a big black guy screaming at her on the dvd as she makes noises I've never heard...."
    Insanity is no joke....commend her for doing that at fifty and turn a deaf ear to the noises. I started that workout in September and you walk out of it drenched in sweat.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    Insanity is no joke....commend her for doing that at fifty and turn a deaf ear to the noises. I started that workout in September and you walk out of it drenched in sweat.
    Kudos to both of you for the effort - but she is in constant pain and never seems to get any rest days. I can barely set foot in the gym and do this job.

Post Likes
    Kudos to both of you for the effort - but she is in constant pain and never seems to get any rest days. I can barely set foot in the gym and do this job.
    I havent had shinsplints this bad since football in high school. Tell her to hit GNC and pick up some of their Lean Shakes. They taste good and help with keeping soreness down if you drink them after a workout.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Could try to say its a "sweat yoga" room on another not i had to wire a fu bared boiler with just 2 relays, pumps ect. Rewired the whole thing according to the manufactures shamatics and a we bit tweeking as it nevef ran right for 10 years. Now it runs right with safties and 2 zones. Simple but took me 1.5 hours to figure out who did what. Boss wasnt happy but when i send a pic of the birds nest he was like. Wtf? Got it right though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I don't think you have to really master it, but getting the basics right, sure. After all, if you draw your own schematic, you're going to be the only one reading it. It doesn't necessarily have to be professional quality.

Post Likes
    That's only a portion of the wiring on a 26 year old Heil, on it's side in an attic but still as big as a damn basement freezer. There are no less than five relays on it, a couple being added later for whatever purpose. Apparently on this model they had separate xfmers, relays and everything for both heating and cooling. I couldn't wrap my head around it in the brief time I was up there.

Another contractor had so mangled the job of putting in a heat pump over this past vicious summer that the H/O gave up and got by on a window unit. Now the blower will not come on after the furnace fires (thank God it did fire on emergency heat).

I took one quick look at that mess and grabbed L1 off the primary side of the heating xfmr and put it to a low motor speed, verified common and let 'er rip long enough to make sure it was enough air to avoid tripping on limit. Continuos blower operation while d/c is on and heat will cycle via stat to get him by until we can replace everything.

Ironically, I had just received my RSES Residential Troubleshooting book which seems to have a very detailed section on reading schematics.
    the picture above is why the good lord invented side cutters.......chop it out and re-wire it...its pretty basic stuff.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in