I am considering a Carrier system comprising a variable speed air handler, 2 stage air conditioner, Infinity zoning, with a hydronic hot water coil with heat supplied by a high efficiency boiler. I was told that there is a loss of functionality with the Infinity zoning for heating with this system compared to using it with a two stage furnace. Is that correct? If so, why?

The Infinity control does not currently support hydronic heating. A new control that will do this is scheduled to be released next March.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Can it be hooked up so the secondary heat (electric strips) be used as primary (if no heat pump) to switch a circulating pump to supply hot water to a hydronic coil? How will the new Carrier zone system that supports hydronic heating work?

Can it be connected? Yes.

Has it been done? Yes.

Will Carrier provide technical support? No.

The current design hasn't been UL qualified to perform the control functions that you desire.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

What about a similar system from Trane? Does the Trane high-end zone control with modulating dampers and variable speed air handler support hydronic coils?

If they haven't redesigned their control board, yes, it can be done. I don't know if they support it. I seem to recall avoidance of installing hydronic coils with their air handlers. However, it's been 3 years since I worked for Trane. Maybe, Mark Beiser will be along this afternoon with some insight.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Mark Beiser

Mark, Can you add anything?

Originally posted by jrbenny
    If they haven't redesigned their control board, yes, it can be done. I don't know if they support it. I seem to recall avoidance of installing hydronic coils with their air handlers. However, it's been 3 years since I worked for Trane. Maybe, Mark Beiser will be along this afternoon with some insight.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Adding a hydronic coil,will add some static as well,your other thread indicates that the ducts are oversized,so that may be okay.

jrbenny: thanks. Can anyone else comment on whether or not Trane zone controls are compatible with hydronic coils in their air handlers?

Originally posted by jrbenny

YES u can add hydro coil and u can wireto the A/H u need to cut 2 wires and use DC relay and u need to set up 5,8,9,10,20 KW (AIRFLOW) ON THE infinity control the only problem is when control calls for heat blower and zone valve will come at same time and ull fill blowing cool air only in the begining of cycle, DO NOT use 90% boiler U will not get the eficency, its going to run 80% (90% boilers need cool water going back to get the eficency)

>>>Removed step-by-step instructions.<<<

[Edited by jrbenny on 11-06-2006 at 09:36 PM]