+ Reply to Thread

Thread: contortionist call

Post Likes

contortionist call

Picture comes no where close to justice. The verticle object on the left is of course the h20 heater; 15 inches away from the furnace with a 18" long blower housing, not including the rails. I guess it could be rotated and finagled out. However what you really can't see from the picture is that the furnace is installed sideways in a closet, two feet down from the floor of an office area that used to be a garage. Right behind the camera is a wall, the closet doors are off to the right a foot or so. You would literally have to lie outside the closet, 2 feet up along side of the furnace and somehow hook your upper body into a U turn to do any significant work on this thing. If I ran into this after hours with calls backing up I believe I would say you'll have to wait for regular hours and a special quote for the PITA factor.

It ended up being a half *ss PM with a prayer that it would cycle correctly when I was done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Why do people do this crap? One of my techs called me Thursday from a new customer's business. There was less than a foot between the access side of the air handler and this brand new wall. He was there in response to a noisy blower call. How? Why? Common sense is a lost commodity these days.

Post Likes
    They must figure that as long as there is 1 square foot around the t-stat...they are good.

Post Likes
    We had one where the home owner built a wall in front of the air handler and cut a slot in the wall to change the air filter and built shelves on the wall . They did make the wall so it could be removed after taking all the shelves out first.

Post Likes
    write the shiat up as inaccessible and move on, can't fix stupid, but you can try to eliminate it.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Name:  IMG_0138[1].jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  39.4 KB

Homeowner install-Access panels facing return duct. Cant service the thing but imagine the money he saved on the install!!
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post

Homeowner install-Access panels facing return duct. Cant service the thing but imagine the money he saved on the install!!
    Holy crap...

You win.

Post Likes
    Inaccessible, have a nice day!!!! On to the next one

Post Likes
    Luckily, Sandy took care of this one for me-along with 2 boilers and 2 water heaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo1 View Post
    Inaccessible, have a nice day!!!! On to the next one

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    Many years ago a Doctor called complaining his new office heating and cooling system did not provide air flow to the waiting room. I was told there were two 125k gas furnaces installed in a cinder block mechanical room of which the door opened in. Not normally a problem except the door hit the first of the two furnaces only opening about 6 inches.

When I asked the Doctor how the guy got the furnaces in the room he said the furnaces were already installed when the builder had mistakenly installed a metal door and frame which the block masons then bricked in place.
    I mentioned to the Doctor that I would have to cut the door hinges off to get access to the furnaces, he said "In that case I think the patients will have to sweat it out."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post

HEY! Is that my basement!?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    HEY! Is that my basement!?
    Upstate is a teeeeeeny bit out of my coverage area. he basement isnt normally this disorganized, Sandy filled it with 5' of water. The local FD was pumping fish out of the basement.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in