Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm Thermostat settings

I had a customer ask me if her husband is saving money by leaving the furnace at 62 while at work, than turning to 70 when arriving home. She thinks it should be left at 70. I was unsure how to answer cause she has a new furnace with a ecm motor, and sided with the husband half heartedly since system would be off for 8 hours during the day. What do you all think.

The husband is right.

6-8 degrees MAX. change, summer or winter....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

The husband is correct.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    6-8 degrees MAX. change, summer or winter....
    Not true with Gas Furnaces. With gas furnaces, the more setback the better. Setting it warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing is all that's needed. My Furnace can take my house from 50 to 68 in about 30 minutes.

Tell her to go get a job and she won't have to worry about it.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Not true with Gas Furnaces. With gas furnaces, the more setback the better. Setting it warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing is all that's needed. My Furnace can take my house from 50 to 68 in about 30 minutes.
    Not in disagreement, but with a properly sized system wouldn't 6-8 make more sense?
    Or at least would it not depend on certain circumstances? I.e. 2 stage vs ss, 90+ vs 80%
    Or insulation/age of home make a difference?
    I'm probably wrong here, but curious at the least!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Not in disagreement, but with a properly sized system wouldn't 6-8 make more sense?
    Or at least would it not depend on certain circumstances? I.e. 2 stage vs ss, 90+ vs 80%
    Or insulation/age of home make a difference?
    I'm probably wrong here, but curious at the least!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Absolutely, correct sizing with less setback makes the most sense. Unfortunately gas furnaces are typically sized at twice the size needed.

I have seen utility usage data that supports only about 5 degree setback for times longer than 6 hours. ie, dont set it back more than 5 degrees and only if your going to be away for more than 6 hours.

i smell a repeat customer.... if only we could say what we think.
    read,learn,grow.....repeat.

whoever is bringing money home and paying for furnace is right.
    what i think is 7- 8 degrees setback is right thing to do

I agree with the 8 degree difference. I usually set it to 64 degrees and 68-70 when arriving home after work.

For anyone claiming setback saves, I ask how much? 2 cents a day? 20?

Please prove it. I'm dying for someone to prove it. Prove it on a decent house with decent equipment, not a crappy house with crappy equipment and 4 windows open. I don't believe the savings, IF THEY EXIST, are MEASURABLE much less MEANINGFUL.

Look, you guys are some of the thought leaders. Please take a step back and question this bad dogma.

If you don't measure both ways you are guessing. Every house and the equipment therein are so different, that to know whether setback saves, does nothing, or even COSTS MORE is an unknown unless you actually test.

I believe setback is a complete myth, "world is flat" dogma blindly fed to us and followed without thought. So deeply engrained, even after rejecting it I have trouble fully shedding myself of the inclination to fiddle with my stat.

I believe Setback Dogma actually has many serious hidden costs, including being responsible for the problem of grossly oversized equipment (anybody think there is no energy cost there?).

Here's a paper I wrote:

http://bit.ly/energyvanguardsetbacksucks

The premise is free energy savings at no cost? Bullcrap. The interior temperature has to be much higher if you allow surfaces to go cold. Mean Radiant is critical to comfort: http://bit.ly/comfortcalculator

No cost? Bullcrap, rot and mold aren't free:

Figure 10: Uncontrolled air flow moving from the inside to the outside creates all sorts of problems. One of the more common issues with the outward flow of warm moist air is condensation. Should air with sufficient moisture come in contact with a surface of a suitable cold temperature it will condense. Condensation on windows is a visual indicator of what could also be occurring within the wall, floor and roof. You can smell the problems with musty odours and see the results of this with mould and mildew, staining and ice dams at roof edges. Sometimes all it takes to create condensation is the use of a setback thermostat...
    http://bit.ly/HHhpOverview

I'm seeing people abandon setback and save money. We need to be the thought leaders on fixing this 20th century approach to "saving", it needs to be removed from the current lexicon.

The earth is no longer flat, and that thinking is actually harming people and impediment to our industry's ability to do really good work.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast