Continuing Issue loses Fron won't heat/cool - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    Cannot discuss prices on here. If leak is inside, refrigerant should be able to pump down into outside unit. In other words, should not have to recover again.
    Ok, forget the price really thats not what I'm asking sorry for posting it anyhow

I'm asking "Should we be charged again"?

recover again?? What you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by kirk1701™ View Post
    Ok here's a question.
    We've done paid XXXX for fixing the first leak which was outside, inside the heat pump (Think thats what its called right? The box with the fan and the compressor?) and we thought that solved the problem.

So, again to fix this he's going to have to find where they are, drain the Freon like last time and replace. Should we be charged again?
    First, pricing is frowned upon here, so it'll be edited out by a moderator.

What you paid for the repair to include a trip charge, repair, and refrigerant (as expensive as it is) is not really out of line - even though it still is a lot of dough for today's consumer. The problem is that it didn't solve the problem. How long ago was the last repair?

Like I said earlier, a good tech, and the company behind him are your best advocates when it come to finding, and solving your system's problem. It is his job to protect your interests, as well as his company's.

We also get raked over the coals when our techs "fix" a unit, and the homeowner complains that the recent repair he paid for did not solve his problem, as the problem is still the "same".

Our company's policy on things like this is to send a seasoned tech to do a follow-up call at no diagnostic charge to determine the problem. If another leak is found, it will be dealt with as another repair that should have been determined on the first call, and the price to repair it will be given as it would have been repaired the first repair visit.

If the initial repair is still leaking, then that is a call-back, and it will be repaired at no charge, and plenty of apologies will be given for the inconvenience.

Haha... Looks like we have the pricing issue covered.

And also, now that I think of it here's another question and keep in mind weve had this unit ohhhh 10 years now I think

If you turn the thermostat up more then 1 degree should it go into "AUX MODE"

And if in AUX MODE is it using gas or still electric no matter what the temp?

Reason I ask this is because the other night when the service man was here; he told me to turn it up so he could put a charge on it. I had the unit on emergency heat so it would use gas so when we took it out of emergency heat and just set on "heat" so it would work like normal, it was 73 in the house so I turned it up to 77 so it would stay on long enough while he worked and put a charge on the unit. Thats when it went into AUX mode and I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE???

Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    First, pricing is frowned upon here, so it'll be edited out by a moderator.

What you paid for the repair to include a trip charge, repair, and refrigerant (as expensive as it is) is not really out of line - even though it still is a lot of dough for today's consumer. The problem is that it didn't solve the problem. How long ago was the last repair?

Like I said earlier, a good tech, and the company behind him are your best advocates when it come to finding, and solving your system's problem. It is his job to protect your interests, as well as his company's.

We also get raked over the coals when our techs "fix" a unit, and the homeowner complains that the recent repair he paid for did not solve his problem, as the problem is still the "same".

Our company's policy on things like this is to send a seasoned tech to do a follow-up call at no diagnostic charge to determine the problem. If another leak is found, it will be dealt with as another repair that should have been determined on the first call, and the price to repair it will be given as it would have been repaired the first repair visit.

If the initial repair is still leaking, then that is a call-back, and it will be repaired at no charge, and plenty of apologies will be given for the inconvenience.
    June/July, Wasn't cooling, freon added, leak discovered, came back another day to repair.
    Worked great, 58 degree Air on A/C, turned off/on while it was 100 degrees outside but slowly got where it didn't cool as well and stayed on constantly from 11 AM til about 5 or 6 PM but kept the house cool

October cold spell, wasn't heating - Added freon

Two weeks later - Needed charge which was the end of the month

This week, needed charge again and said must be another leak so will be back to find.

June/July, Wasn't cooling, freon added, leak discovered, came back another day to repair.

October cold spell, wasn't heating - Added freon

Two weeks later - Needed charge which was the end of the month

This week, needed charge and said must be another leak so will be back to find.
    Well that explains it. The first call in October showing signs of low charge after leak repair in July should have sent red flags. We would have dealt with the issue then. Three times of gas n go is just a waste of everybody's time, and expensive refrigerant. Everyone in the trade knows these leaks just don't magically go away. They knew they'd be back again on another low charge.

Did you pay for these trips and refrigerant?

You said your system is 10 years old... Probably not in warranty unless a higher end system. They usually had 1 to 5 years basic parts warranty in those days.

Unfortunately, outside of warranty, they become money pits. Your leak needs to be determined, and overall system performace and condition needs to be evaluated before you plan to sink more money into something no longer in warranty (if that is the case). If not, it won't be long before there is another failure in your system, and you will feel raked over the coals again, if you have not been included in a long term cost analysis and a plan to eliminate surprise and unplanned expensive repairs.

Three gas-n-goes does not seem to be a good judgement of a reputable outfit... Unless there were other factors involved that allowed that to happen. Reputable companies and reputable clients do seem to go hand in hand.

Well that explains it. The first call in October showing signs of low charge after leak repair in July should have sent red flags. We would have dealt with the issue then. Three times of gas n go is just a waste of everybody's time, and expensive refrigerant. Everyone in the trade knows these leaks just don't magically go away. They knew they'd be back again on another low charge.

Did you pay for these trips and refrigerant?

You said your system is 10 years old... Probably not in warranty unless a higher end system. They usually had 1 to 5 years basic parts warranty in those days.

Unfortunately, outside of warranty, they become money pits. Your leak needs to be determined, and overall system performace and condition needs to be evaluated before you plan to sink more money into something no longer in warranty (if that is the case). If not, it won't be long before there is another failure in your system, and you will feel raked over the coals again, if you have not been included in a long term cost analysis and a plan to eliminate surprise and unplanned expensive repairs.

Three gas-n-goes does not seem to be a good judgement of a reputable outfit... Unless there were other factors involved.
    that allowed that to happen. Reputable companies and reputable clients do seem to go hand in hand
    Yes, its a neighbor, starting to wonder if this was bad judgement on our part.

No, no charge on the gas-n-go as he's doing it after hours but he's partners in the business with another guy "I think".

Yes, High end system but out of warranty after 5 years.

You are getting Exactly what you payed for.

Pay a company to fix it right and will stand behind thier work or keep knocking on the guys door to gas it up every 2 weeks.
    Gas and go are againjst the law!

Yes, its a neighbor, starting to wonder if this was bad judgement on our part.

No, no charge on the gas-n-go as he's doing it after hours but he's partners in the business with another guy "I think".

Yes, High end system but out of warranty after 5 years.

Looks like we are getting to the bottom of this... Everyone eventually gets a good education on service. Remember that a good education is not free.

Time to do some research on some local service outfits and find another one. HVAC Talk contractor map would be a good start. Angie's List is another place to look. Good luck on your endeavor.

Thermojohn out, hehe.... Going to enjoy this beautiful Saturday out and about with the family.

Looks like we are getting to the bottom of this... Everyone eventually gets a good education on service. Remember that a good education is not free.

Time to do some research on some local service outfits and find another one. HVAC Talk contractor map would be a good start. Angie's List is another place to look. Good luck on your endeavor.

Thermojohn out, hehe.... Going to enjoy this beautiful Saturday out and about with the family.
    Thanks guys
    One more question, its below I think you missed it post #17

So the 1st guy was your Neighbor? You are a better person then me, I would be knocking on his door everyday till he fixed it right.

I do all my neighbor's work. I have installed and serviced just about everyone in the neighborhood. That is one of the things they like if there is a problem I am right there next to them.

I must agree with all the others cut your losses and find another contractor to find the leak/leaks fix if possiable if not look at replacement as this system is nickle and diming you.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    So the 1st guy was your Neighbor? You are a better person then me, I would be knocking on his door everyday till he fixed it right.

I do all my neighbor's work. I have installed and serviced just about everyone in the neighborhood. That is one of the things they like if there is a problem I am right there next to them.

I must agree with all the others cut your losses and find another contractor to find the leak/leaks fix if possiable if not look at replacement as this system is nickle and diming you.
    We'll both actually, both service guys lived in the neighborhood and the first moved and he was the one that installed the unit and later raked us over the coals after he got to big, but the second guy who now lives in the neighborhood we asked him for this very same reason as your saying; if there's a problem he's right there and my dad who lives with us is elderly, on blood thinners so can't do without heat thats just an absolute must have. Don't get me wrong, he's been good about responding, put a charge on and go but I'm wondering if he wasn't double checking to see if it lost a charge more then once or twice before he said definate "more then one leak"??

I don't know, thats why I came here to get answers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12