Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I believe I recall you saying this XR15 worked well in cooling mode and was only problematic in heating mode. The fact that they have had to take out charge twice to prevent the high limit switch from tripping makes me wonder how the system will perform (comparatively) in cooling mode once it gets warmer out. Low indoor airflow causes high head pressure in heating mode -- I would not be surprised if airflow was the source of these issues. It's too bad you haven't been able to find someone to fully test the system and diagnose the issue.
    The tech did also adjust the blower speed so the coil won't get too warm. The blower speed was a bit too low.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    The tech did also adjust the blower speed so the coil won't get too warm. The blower speed was a bit too low.
    The issue is probably undersized ductwork not blower speed.

Does 8 inch ductwork sound to small for a 4 ton blower? There's a 12 inch trunk that comes off the supply plenum.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    The issue is probably undersized ductwork not blower speed.
    You need to go back to the pictures of these systems. I used to say I've seen it all, but I live in the midwest, it takes longer for the crappy workmanship to get here.

We never have a problem with air coming out of the vents. The unit was overcharged when it was installed. We always feel comfortable on our first floor and the unit does great in both heating and cooling. Our furnace has never failed once. Same with the blower motor.

Does 8 inch ductwork sound to small for a 4 ton blower? There's a 12 inch trunk that comes off the supply plenum.
    Eek! Pics?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    You need to go back to the pictures of these systems. I used to say I've seen it all, but I live in the midwest, it takes longer for the crappy workmanship to get here.
    I can't look at attachments on my phone for some reason and I rarely get on htalk on my computer. So I'll take your word its pretty bad.

We never have a problem with air coming out of the vents. The unit was overcharged when it was installed. We always feel comfortable on our first floor and the unit does great in both heating and cooling. Our furnace has never failed once. Same with the blower motor.
    The first floor basically has no load. You have a HVAC system on every floor. You could almost leave the 1st floor system off and be comfortable from the systems above and below.

I said the workmanship was terrible, I would need to go back and read about the supplies and returns on that system.

It is true and very frustrationing that equipment is so forgiving because the people that do that kind of work get away with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Eek! Pics?
    Picture are on page 4, number 59 and also on page 6, numbers 26 and 24.

Caution: Not for the weak at heart!

We had our basement system inspected and tuned-up last Tuesday. The system is a 2003 Trane XR11 1.5 ton heat pump that heats and cool

My question is, is he right that a return will not be needed? Are the current 2 returns enough for the system?
    Thanks in advanced.
    This is a well developed basement, do you have a dehumidifier in the space? What is the real temp/%RH during different times of the year? Does cool damp have any thing to with this problem?
    Regard TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

The first floor basically has no load. You have a HVAC system on every floor. You could almost leave the 1st floor system off and be comfortable from the systems above and below.

I said the workmanship was terrible, I would need to go back and read about the supplies and returns on that system.

It is true and very frustrating that equipment is so forgiving because the people that do that kind of work get away with murder.
    Nicely written.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Nicely written.
    Thank you, I appreciate............I get lucky every now and then.

It is true and very frustrationing that equipment is so forgiving because the people that do that kind of work get away with murder.
    The basement system does not effect the first floor a whole lot since there's a door that leads to the basement from the first floor and it is usually closed. The doors to the bedrooms upstairs are always closed and it always feels comfortable up there. During our heating tune-up back in early October the tech checked the airflow on the air vents on our first floor and upstairs system. He said the airflow is proper for both systems. This tech is a very good one who works in one of the highest rated companies in my area.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast