Should another return be helpful for basement system? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. So basically a system short on returns will not provide that proper airflow needed.

Having too many supplies is not really a good idea, especially if you don't have the correct number of returns. I'm starting to get the idea now. The system needs to have the correct amount of supplies and returns that are able to handle the proper load from the system. I can also understand that system size is also very important.

My son knows more about HVAC than I do! He's only 15 now but he wants to be an HVAC tech when he grows up!
    If your son becomes a good tech and is willing to work, he'll be able to work anywhere he chooses. I have found that techs are no different than most in that they don't understand the importance of airflow.

I don't know if it's not taught, but in MHO, it is the first thing that a tech should understand. Airflow is the foundation of a HVAC system. As you have found out with the techs working on your systems, it is not even on their radar.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. So basically a system short on returns will not provide that proper airflow needed.

Having too many supplies is not really a good idea, especially if you don't have the correct number of returns. I'm starting to get the idea now. The system needs to have the correct amount of supplies and returns that are able to handle the proper load from the system. I can also understand that system size is also very important.

My son knows more about HVAC than I do! He's only 15 now but he wants to be an HVAC tech when he grows up!
    A story regarding the lack of return air: I was called to a home with two systems. Both were in the basement. I was called because the 2nd floor system could not cool the area.

I found the sizing was correct, but the A/C would never shut off and the temperature would rise through out the day.

I measure the airflow out of the supplies before I increased the return air. Note: I knew the ductwork was small for the supply and the return before I even started but I could not enlarge the supply.

By adding more return, I increased the supply airflow by an average of 25%. I was very surprised with this increase because the supply duct was so small as well.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    A story regarding the lack of return air: I was called to a home with two systems. Both were in the basement. I was called because the 2nd floor system could not cool the area.

I found the sizing was correct, but the A/C would never shut off and the temperature would rise through out the day.

I measure the airflow out of the supplies before I increased the return air. Note: I knew the ductwork was small for the supply and the return before I even started but I could not enlarge the supply.

By adding more return, I increased the supply airflow by an average of 25%. I was very surprised with this increase because the supply duct was so small as well.
    Wow, impressive! So if the 6 inch return in the man cave was enlarged to a 12 inch, this could increase the airflow coming out of the supplies in my whole basement, correct?

Wow, impressive! So if the 6 inch return in the man cave was enlarged to a 12 inch, this could increase the airflow coming out of the supplies in my whole basement, correct?
    Your situation is not quite as bad, but adding more return will help. If I remember correctly, there is one room in the basement the has the biggest problem. You need to increase the supply (to that room) to make a difference.
    Last edited by George2; 11-25-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: clarification

Your situation is not quite as bad, but adding more return will help. If I remember correctly, there is one room in the basement the has the biggest problem. You need to increase the supply (to that room) to make a difference.
    Thanks for the input. The supply in the game room should be increased to an 8 inch and this might help as well as the larger return, correct? Thanks in advanced.

Thanks for the input. The supply in the game room should be increased to an 8 inch and this might help as well as the larger return, correct? Thanks in advanced.
    It sounds like it's safe to say that you haven't found a (HVAC) person in your area that you trust? It is hard for me to say exactly what you need from Iowa. From the pictures you posted, I would rip it all out and start over. I would omit the basement system, then I would redo the first floor ductwork to include zoning for the basement.

It would increase the headroom in the basement not to mention increasing the comfort of the home, reduce the utility bills, reduce the service calls and reduce equipment replacement costs. All of that flex has to be costing you a fortune in decreased efficiency.

It sounds like it's safe to say that you haven't found a (HVAC) person in your area that you trust? It is hard for me to say exactly what you need from Iowa. From the pictures you posted, I would rip it all out and start over. I would omit the basement system, then I would redo the first floor ductwork to include zoning for the basement.

It would increase the headroom in the basement not to mention increasing the comfort of the home, reduce the utility bills, reduce the service calls and reduce equipment replacement costs. All of that flex has to be costing you a fortune in decreased efficiency.
    We have not tried calling other companies yet, but I'm calling the one who installed my first floor Trane XR15 tomorrow because the unit sometimes acts funny. I'll ask the tech when he comes to look at the ductwork. If he doesn't help, then I'm calling a different company.

Good luck to you. Check out the thread "$750,000 home". It is also in GA. Flex is big in GA. I don't know if they know anything else.

Good luck to you. Check out the thread "$750,000 home". It is also in GA. Flex is big in GA. I don't know if they know anything else.
    Thanks. I'm off to bed now, so I'll look at the thread briefly. I will post an update as soon as possible after the tech comes. Thanks again for all the info!

You bet!

Update... Tech came today and fixed first floor unit (unit was slightly overcharged) but said nothing about the ductwork.

Update... Tech came today and fixed first floor unit (unit was slightly overcharged) but said nothing about the ductwork.
    As Gomer Pyle (you're to young to remember) used to say, "Surprise, surprise".

I believe I recall you saying this XR15 worked well in cooling mode and was only problematic in heating mode. The fact that they have had to take out charge twice to prevent the high limit switch from tripping makes me wonder how the system will perform (comparatively) in cooling mode once it gets warmer out. Low indoor airflow causes high head pressure in heating mode -- I would not be surprised if airflow was the source of these issues. It's too bad you haven't been able to find someone to fully test the system and diagnose the issue.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast