Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Nope, but we do plan to have that done in the near future. I can definitely tell how important that is.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Thanks for the information. I understand a whole lot better. So we have 6 supply runs coming out of the first floor system and 5 supply runs coming out of the basement system. This means that 11 dampers will have to be installed.
    Yes, that would be correct. However, you certainty have more than 6 registers (1st floor) for 2,200 sq. ft.? Otherwise, the 2,200 (sq. ft.) cannot be a correct number.

It must be at least 12-14 (of different diameter pipes) for a 3.5 ton A/C system.

That's fine. Right now I don't have anything else to say, but that could change.
    I can't imagine you being short on the thought process with nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Yes, that would be correct. However, you certainty have more than 6 registers (1st floor) for 2,200 sq. ft.? Otherwise, the 2,200 (sq. ft.) cannot be a correct number.

It must be at least 12-14 (of different diameter pipes) for a 3.5 ton A/C system.
    Wow, it's funny how I log back on only a very few minutes after you post something! I've been busy this past few hours. There are a total of 17 supplies on the first floor system. 6 trunks come off the plenum.

Here's a look of the first floor supply plenum: Name:  DSC00304.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  47.0 KB One of the 4 inch supplies on the right side of the plenum serve a half bathroom and the other 4 inch on the right side serves one of the vents in the kitchen. There are two trunks on the left side.

Wow, it's funny how I log back on only a very few minutes after you post something! I've been busy this past few hours. There are a total of 17 supplies on the first floor system. 6 trunks come off the plenum.
    It was meant to be? That sounds more like it. In that case you would need a total of 23.

See, I can add as well. You would need additional supplies for the basement to make it work.

That would have been done before the basement finish. Zoning, originally, would have been less money than you spent on the system you have now without consuming the space it requires. Not to mention one less system to service.

Maybe GA needs a new HVAC shop?

Here's a look of the first floor supply plenum: Name:  DSC00304.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  47.0 KB One of the 4 inch supplies on the right side of the plenum serve a half bathroom and the other 4 inch on the right side serves one of the vents in the kitchen. There are two trunks on the left side.
    Sweet Jesus! I thought you said the first floor system was nothing like the poor workmanship in the basement? I cannot tell the difference. Triple wow!

Lord help you! Is that how all the homes are in GA? Sorry, but I wouldn't take that on a bet......whatever that means. Sorry..........I feel for you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Sweet Jesus! I thought you said the first floor system was nothing like the poor workmanship in the basement? I cannot tell the difference. Triple wow!

Lord help you! Is that how all the homes are in GA? Sorry, but I wouldn't take that on a bet......whatever that means. Sorry..........I feel for you folks.
    Sometimes I can't tell what you mean about poor ductwork! Well our basement ceilings are lower than most homes around here, and It was harder to them to install the ductwork because of the low ceilings. The basement ceilings are 8 foot (except for the 3 rooms with drop ceilings which make those rooms 7 inch). The ductwork was never prime sealed on the first floor system when it was installed.

Sometimes I can't tell what you mean about poor ductwork! Well our basement ceilings are lower than most homes around here, and It was harder to them to install the ductwork because of the low ceilings. The basement ceilings are 8 foot (except for the 3 rooms with drop ceilings which make those rooms 7 inch). The ductwork was never prime sealed on the first floor system when it was installed.
    Hey 545GAlady

Don't want to steer this thread off topic, but I'm curious if you got the issue with the first floor system taken care of, and whether it was airflow related (from your earlier thread).

I'll tell you in that certain thread. Thanks for asking though.

Let me put it this way, if I were teaching a class on what poor ductwork and the worst case of shoddy (sp?) workmanship looked like, all I would need to show them the pictures you provided.

Most of the duct systems around here are Cadillacs compared to GA. I could not and would not try to compete against that. Any general contractor that allows that kind of work should be driven out of business.

Enough of my rant.....sorry, it's not your fault. Your ceiling are low because of the huge round flex ductwork. Those large pipes that come off the plenum somehow feed the 17 registers to the 1st floor. I would love to see how that was accomplished. Boy!

We've now gone from one problem area (basement) to a new problem area (1st floor). I bet I could spend all day at your house finding problems with all 3 of your systems.

The first floor system, as it stands now, could not have been zoned for the basement or anything else.

When I said 7 inch I meant to say 7 foot! My mistake

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast