Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Wow, double wow........that has to be the worst "duct" work I have ever seen! Do the other two systems in the home look like that? Is that typical of how work is done in GA?

I see where there is little room available for an additional RA.
    Wow... strange how the tech said nothing about the ductwork looking all bad. The other two systems in the house do not look like that. I don't know about other homes!

So there's some room right next to the 6 inch return duct?

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Wow... strange how the tech said nothing about the ductwork looking all bad. The other two systems in the house do not look like that. I don't know about other homes!

What you and others need to know is that techs can fix things but, as a rule, they don't look or know or care as to why "it" broke.

Knowing airflow and the right duct design is a skill learned. Flex duct is the worst thing that happened to our business. Short runs are okay but your system takes the cake.

I've only seen one job like yours but at least it was a neater job. The guy must have had a little pride at least.

I would recommend removing the 6" and increasing it to a 12", but it looks like it'll cut into the already tight space. An additional 6" run won't do you any good.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into that possibility of increasing the 6 inch to a 12 inch.

Now what you said earlier about zoning, I was wondering if we could have zoning in the future when the system breaks and have the basement zoned off instead of a separate system, but I don't know if our current first floor system can take anymore load.

One last question. Do you think having the basement zoned off from the first floor system be a good idea in the future instead of having a separate system serving the basement? The first floor system is a 2012 Trane XR15 3.5 ton heat pump matched up with a 2002 Lennox G40 90,000 BTU input furnace with a 4 ton blower. The first floor is 2200 sq ft. Can that system take any more load?

One last question. Do you think having the basement zoned off from the first floor system be a good idea in the future instead of having a separate system serving the basement? The first floor system is a 2012 Trane XR15 3.5 ton heat pump matched up with a 2002 Lennox G40 90,000 BTU input furnace with a 4 ton blower. The first floor is 2200 sq ft. Can that system take any more load?
    Yes, your existing 1st floor system could easily handle the basement as well. The beauty of zoning is that, in many cases, one system could have 4 zones.

I designed and installed a 3 zone system in my 1946 2-story 2,250 sq. ft. home. The family room and kitchen are on one zone (thermostat), the dining room hallway, living room and office area are controled with another stat and the entire second floor is controled with a 3rd stat.

My furnace is an 80,000btu input 96% 2-stage and the A/C is a 3 ton 2-speed. Note: I had a 2.5 ton and it did the job just fine. I put in the 2-speed thinking it would dehumidify better (based on wrong info., my own fault!) and wish I had stayed with the 2.5 ton.

Live and learn.

If someone can get to all your of ductwork, the zoning would be possible for your home.
    Obviously, doing it before the finish is easier and less expensive! Most HVAC contractor, it's hard to believe, do not know anything about zoning. That's why it was not mentioned to you as an option.

I always give my customers the option. Sometimes getting into trouble which I'll explain if you want to hear the story.

Yes, your existing 1st floor system could easily handle the basement as well. The beauty of zoning is that, in many cases, one system could have 4 zones.

I designed and installed a 3 zone system in my 1946 2-story 2,250 sq. ft. home. The family room and kitchen are on one zone (thermostat), the dining room hallway, living room and office area are controled with another stat and the entire second floor is controled with a 3rd stat.

My furnace is an 80,000btu input 96% 2-stage and the A/C is a 3 ton 2-speed. Note: I had a 2.5 ton and it did the job just fine. I put in the 2-speed thinking it would dehumidify better (based on wrong info., my own fault!) and wish I had stayed with the 2.5 ton.

Live and learn.

If someone can get to all your of ductwork, the zoning would be possible for your home.
    Obviously, doing it before the finish is easier and less expensive! Most HVAC contractor, it's hard to believe, do not know anything about zoning. That's why it was not mentioned to you as an option.

I always give my customers the option. Sometimes getting into trouble which I'll explain if you want to hear the story.
    Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it. I would probably stick with going with 2 zones (one for basement, one for first floor) because it will be cheaper. Of course it depends on price. If I can afford more zones, then maybe I can consider it, but it will be a lot easier having 2 zones rather than more.

I wouldn't mind hearing the story.

I was just thinking about this post. This is a great example of what I was trying to explain to you:

How can a tech "tune-up" you system when it doesn't have the proper airflow?

That would be like taking your car in for a tune-up (to help increase the gas mileage) and they didn't check the plugged air filter.

I'm just saying.................for me (and maybe I'm slower than some) it took many years of experiance to finally fiquire out all the different senerios. P.S. I wish they had spell check.

Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate it. I would probably stick with going with 2 zones (one for basement, one for first floor) because it will be cheaper. Of course it depends on price. If I can afford more zones, then maybe I can consider it, but it will be a lot easier having 2 zones rather than more.

I wouldn't mind hearing the story.
    Once you decide on the zoning, it's only the addition cost of the zone board and extra stats.............maybe $350-500 for the extra 2 zones!

I was just thinking about this post. This is a great example of what I was trying to explain to you:

How can a tech "tune-up" you system when it doesn't have the proper airflow?

That would be like taking your car in for a tune-up (to help increase the gas mileage) and they didn't check the plugged air filter.

I'm just saying.................for me (and maybe I'm slower than some) it took many years of experiance to finally fiquire out all the different senerios. P.S. I wish they had spell check.
    I do remember the tech checking the air flow in all the rooms. He did replace the capacitor in the outdoor unit. It sucks that he did all of this with poor air flow in the system.

Once you decide on the zoning, it's only the addition cost of the zone board and extra stats.............maybe $350-500 for the extra 2 zones!
    I know that pricing is not allowed here, but wouldn't the dampers add on to the price?

I do remember the tech checking the air flow in all the rooms. He did replace the capacitor in the outdoor unit. It sucks that he did all of this with poor air flow in the system.
    How did he check the airflow....with a meter or a wet finger? I started a thread here regarding the importance of airflow to efficiency. I received mixed opinions on the subject.

But to my simple way of looking at things, I would think proper airflow is necessary before anything else can occure.

I know that pricing is not allowed here, but wouldn't the dampers add on to the price?
    Very observate. I'm proud of you. However, the dampers are already there regardless of how they are zoned. The only reason for more damper is if you add more supplies.

But a 8" run is equal to 2-6" runs so that is one way to reduce the damper costs. It just depends on how the room is laid out.

How did he check the airflow....with a meter or a wet finger? I started a thread here regarding the importance of airflow to efficiency. I received mixed opinions on the subject.

But to my simple way of looking at things, I would think proper airflow is necessary before anything else can occure.
    He checked air flow with a meter I think.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast