Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the additional info. I thought that might be where the equipment would be located.

I would have suggested zoning the first floor system to handle the basement area. Anyway, it's to late now so let's fix what you have.

I'm assuming the 6" return is in the mechanical room? If so, make it a 12" to a (new) larger grille.

I hope this helps you.

If it's easier for you to carry on this conversation without visiting this site, my email address is in my bio. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Thanks for the additional info. I thought that might be where the equipment would be located.

I would have suggested zoning the first floor system to handle the basement area. Anyway, it's to late now so let's fix what you have.

I'm assuming the 6" return is in the mechanical room? If so, make it a 12" to a (new) larger grille.

I hope this helps you.
    Your welcome! The tech that came even said that for heating and cooling basements he recommends zoning from the first floor system.

Are you talking about the 6 inch return going into the man cave? If you are then yes, the 6 inch return is coming from the mechanical room. Upsizing the return could be a lot easier than adding a new one.

If it's easier for you to carry on this conversation without visiting this site, my email address is in my bio. Just an FYI.
    It's fine the way it is now!

Here's some pics. hope this helps. Name:  DSC00295.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  28.5 KB the 12 inch return in theater room Name:  DSC00296.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  27.2 KB the 6 inch supply and the 6 inch return in man cave Name:  DSC00297.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  20.9 KB another look of the 6 inch return Name:  DSC00298.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  38.5 KB the 6 inch supply in game room

Thanks for the picture. They are helpful. The 12" is connected to a filter grille and the 6" is not a filter grille. How many filters are in the system?

Also, what size is that filter grille? If it's a 16"x25" (800cfm), then (if possible) a larger pipe could go there for more RA.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would run just one 6" supply to any basement room other than a small bathroom.

Thanks for the picture. They are helpful. The 12" is connected to a filter grille and the 6" is not a filter grille. How many filters are in the system?

Also, what size is that filter grille? If it's a 16"x25" (800cfm), then (if possible) a larger pipe could go there for more RA.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would run just one 6" supply to any basement room other than a small bathroom.
    Your welcome. There used to be a filter in the 12 return filter grille but then the 6 inch return was added to the man cave which made us put a 14 x 20 filter in the air handler. The filter grille is a 14" x14". I just measured it.

I agree, 6 inch sounds too small for basement rooms.

You're up late!

The 14"x20" is only good for 580cfm. This is even less than the 12" flex pipe that serves it!
    The 6" pipe is about 100cfm.

I imagine the electric heat needs at least 1,000cfms to perform well. I'm not to fimiliar with electric heat as far as a limit (switch) is concerned.

You're up late!

The 14"x20" is only good for 580cfm. This is even less than the 12" flex pipe that serves it!
    The 6" pipe is about 100cfm.

I imagine the electric heat needs at least 1,000cfms to perform well. I'm not to fimiliar with electric heat as far as a limit (switch) is concerned.
    It's only 11:26 PM Eastern right now! That's still kinda late though.

Oh 14" x20"? My mistake. The airflow does feel weak going into the 6 inch return. I can feel a lot of air getting sucked in through the 12 inch.

When the tech was here he did replace the contactor in the air handler because the old one was burnt up.

You said 14"x20" is a mistake? Is the size different? Ya, 6" doesn't do much, plus that grille appears on the small side as well.

A limit switch on a gas furnace turns off the gas (burners) if there is not enough airflow.

I'm sure an electric furnace has something like that.

I know ur an hour ahead of us here in the midwest. I'm watching the Oregon/Cal game.

Here's the air handler and the 8 inch supply in the theater room. Name:  DSC00300.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  59.6 KBName:  DSC00301.jpg
Size:  57.8 KBName:  DSC00303.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  21.4 KB

You said 14"x20" is a mistake? Is the size different? Ya, 6" doesn't do much, plus that grille appears on the small side as well.

A limit switch on a gas furnace turns off the gas (burners) if there is not enough airflow.

I'm sure an electric furnace has something like that.

I know ur an hour ahead of us here in the midwest. I'm watching the Oregon/Cal game.
    No I meant to say that I made a mistake saying 14" x14' when I should've said 14" x20". Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Here's the air handler and the 8 inch supply in the theater room. Name:  DSC00300.jpg
Size:  59.6 KBName:  DSC00301.jpg
Size:  57.8 KBName:  DSC00303.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  21.4 KB
    Wow, double wow........that has to be the worst "duct" work I have ever seen! Do the other two systems in the home look like that? Is that typical of how work is done in GA?

I see where there is little room available for an additional RA.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast