Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should another return be helpful for basement system?

Post Likes
    Do you ever leave your computer? You respond faster than anyone I know.

Post Likes
    No. I just got on here because I've been gone for several hours. I'm not always on the computer, especially week days because I'm a substitute teacher.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Thanks. Will several dampers be need for the runs from the plenum?
    I'm not sure that I understand your question. Every supply will need to have a damper IF you want to control the airflow for that supply run.

I do have a supply in my house that I let blow "wild". In other words, it is never restricted and that was designed that way on purpose.

Post Likes
    Oh sorry. I kinda get it. So does that mean that if having the basement zoned off from the first floor system will only require very few dampers like for example 2 dampers (one for the basement, one for the first floor)? I don't know much about zoning. I'm still trying to learn about it and I'm still confused.

Post Likes
    Oh sorry. So does that mean that if having the basement zoned off from the first floor system will only require very few dampers like for example 2 dampers (one for the basement, one for the first floor)? I don't know much about zoning. I'm still trying to learn about it and I'm confused.
    Okay, sorry, it seems elementary to me. Here is how it goes (generally), there are exceptions, of course:

If you had 12 existing (supply) registers on the first floor and installed 8 new (suppl)registers for the basement, then you are going to have a total of 20 dampers.

Now, once the dampers are in place, you may, depending on the layout of the home, have 4 zones without adding dampers. Understand better?

Post Likes
    Oh sorry. I kinda get it. So does that mean that if having the basement zoned off from the first floor system will only require very few dampers like for example 2 dampers (one for the basement, one for the first floor)? I don't know much about zoning. I'm still trying to learn about it and I'm still confused.
    You're confused? That's understandable. Call around to different HVAC guys and you won't feel alone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Okay, sorry, it seems elementary to me. Here is how it goes (generally), there are exceptions, of course:

If you had 12 existing (supply) registers on the first floor and installed 8 new (suppl)registers for the basement, then you are going to have a total of 20 dampers.

Now, once the dampers are in place, you may, depending on the layout of the home, have 4 zones without adding dampers. Understand better?
    Thanks for the information. I understand a whole lot better. So we have 6 supply runs coming out of the first floor system and 5 supply runs coming out of the basement system. This means that 11 dampers will have to be installed.

Post Likes
    I need to read and then take my (beauty) nap. I'll respond to your posts a little later. Don't worry.

You are fun to "talk" to. I have always appreciated people that want to learn and are open to new ideas.

Post Likes
    That's fine. Right now I don't have anything else to say, but that could change.

Post Likes
    Not to intrude here, but have you considered how much air leakage you have at your rim joists? This is a major source of air leakage. That drop ceiling is not going to stop it either. The best first step regarding comfort & energy use in a home is to find out if your home has excessive air leakage and perhaps insulation issues, resolve those issues first, and then move on to equipment concerns.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    tipsrfine thanks. I can see how that should be checked first. We have had our insulation inspected last summer.

Post Likes
    Did you have your homes air leakage tested, with a blower door test?
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    Nope, but we do plan to have that done in the near future. I can definitely tell how important that is.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information. I understand a whole lot better. So we have 6 supply runs coming out of the first floor system and 5 supply runs coming out of the basement system. This means that 11 dampers will have to be installed.
    Yes, that would be correct. However, you certainty have more than 6 registers (1st floor) for 2,200 sq. ft.? Otherwise, the 2,200 (sq. ft.) cannot be a correct number.

It must be at least 12-14 (of different diameter pipes) for a 3.5 ton A/C system.

Post Likes
    That's fine. Right now I don't have anything else to say, but that could change.
    I can't imagine you being short on the thought process with nothing to say.

Post Likes
    Yes, that would be correct. However, you certainty have more than 6 registers (1st floor) for 2,200 sq. ft.? Otherwise, the 2,200 (sq. ft.) cannot be a correct number.

It must be at least 12-14 (of different diameter pipes) for a 3.5 ton A/C system.
    Wow, it's funny how I log back on only a very few minutes after you post something! I've been busy this past few hours. There are a total of 17 supplies on the first floor system. 6 trunks come off the plenum.

Post Likes
    Here's a look of the first floor supply plenum: Name:  DSC00304.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  47.0 KB One of the 4 inch supplies on the right side of the plenum serve a half bathroom and the other 4 inch on the right side serves one of the vents in the kitchen. There are two trunks on the left side.

Post Likes
    Wow, it's funny how I log back on only a very few minutes after you post something! I've been busy this past few hours. There are a total of 17 supplies on the first floor system. 6 trunks come off the plenum.
    It was meant to be? That sounds more like it. In that case you would need a total of 23.

See, I can add as well. You would need additional supplies for the basement to make it work.

That would have been done before the basement finish. Zoning, originally, would have been less money than you spent on the system you have now without consuming the space it requires. Not to mention one less system to service.

Maybe GA needs a new HVAC shop?

Post Likes
    Here's a look of the first floor supply plenum: Name:  DSC00304.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  47.0 KB One of the 4 inch supplies on the right side of the plenum serve a half bathroom and the other 4 inch on the right side serves one of the vents in the kitchen. There are two trunks on the left side.
    Sweet Jesus! I thought you said the first floor system was nothing like the poor workmanship in the basement? I cannot tell the difference. Triple wow!

Lord help you! Is that how all the homes are in GA? Sorry, but I wouldn't take that on a bet......whatever that means. Sorry..........I feel for you folks.

Post Likes
    Sweet Jesus! I thought you said the first floor system was nothing like the poor workmanship in the basement? I cannot tell the difference. Triple wow!

Lord help you! Is that how all the homes are in GA? Sorry, but I wouldn't take that on a bet......whatever that means. Sorry..........I feel for you folks.
    Sometimes I can't tell what you mean about poor ductwork! Well our basement ceilings are lower than most homes around here, and It was harder to them to install the ductwork because of the low ceilings. The basement ceilings are 8 foot (except for the 3 rooms with drop ceilings which make those rooms 7 inch). The ductwork was never prime sealed on the first floor system when it was installed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in