Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I bet the condenser is also the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Not if it's not a pumpdown. Might just be using a t-stat to control compressor. A clear glass would be a starting point. SC & SH would be the proper way to go. Make sure the water regulating valve is set properly.
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

I may have, who knows? Which is why I said use it as a starting point and adjust as necessary. I normally don't see sight glasses on units without receivers.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

From the description this sounds like a WJWL water-cooled condensing unit, which has a shell & tube condenser...referred to in the old days as a condenser/receiver.

The refrigerant flows through the shell and the water through the tubes so there a significant liquid storage capacity with these condensers. I found some specs which indicate that this unit would have a pumpdown capacity of about 42 lbs...not bad for a 3 HP unit.

Here's a drawing:

WJWL-0300.pdf

We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?
    I suppose "Pump & Dump" originally got its name from back when many water-cooled refrigeration systems were of the open loop variety where either well water or city water cooling was a once-through process. For a lot of years now this has been simply too costly or outright prohibited, so most water-cooled units are on a closed loop setup with a cooling tower.

It reminds me of when my father installed a number of commercial A/C systems in New Hampshire using chilled water coils and city water...which came from wells and was a constant 50F all year round...and all it went to directly to the sewer. They worked pretty well actually. When they started metering the water usage in the 1960's, he got to install cooling towers or air-cooled condensers.

The Pump & Dump was popular a few years ago...but I'm starting to become a family man.

What about the bumper dumper? http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I nominate for the best post of the day..

Bumper Dumper. ****ing golden.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I suppose "Pump & Dump" originally got its name from back when many water-cooled refrigeration systems were of the open loop variety where either well water or city water cooling was a once-through process. For a lot of years now this has been simply too costly or outright prohibited, so most water-cooled units are on a closed loop setup with a cooling tower.

It reminds me of when my father installed a number of commercial A/C systems in New Hampshire using chilled water coils and city water...which came from wells and was a constant 50ºF all year round...and all it went to directly to the sewer. They worked pretty well actually. When they started metering the water usage in the 1960's, he got to install cooling towers or air-cooled condensers.
    That's exactly what it is...city water thru the condenser and down the drain!!! We have 10 coolers and 5 freezers still on this setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    The Pump & Dump was popular a few years ago...but I'm starting to become a family man.
    lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12