Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 25 of 25
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I bet the condenser is also the receiver.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,146
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Not if it's not a pumpdown. Might just be using a t-stat to control compressor. A clear glass would be a starting point. SC & SH would be the proper way to go. Make sure the water regulating valve is set properly.
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

    I may have, who knows? Which is why I said use it as a starting point and adjust as necessary. I normally don't see sight glasses on units without receivers.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,308
    From the description this sounds like a WJWL water-cooled condensing unit, which has a shell & tube condenser...referred to in the old days as a condenser/receiver.

    The refrigerant flows through the shell and the water through the tubes so there a significant liquid storage capacity with these condensers. I found some specs which indicate that this unit would have a pumpdown capacity of about 42 lbs...not bad for a 3 HP unit.

    Here's a drawing:

    WJWL-0300.pdf

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

    Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,308
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

    Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?
    I suppose "Pump & Dump" originally got its name from back when many water-cooled refrigeration systems were of the open loop variety where either well water or city water cooling was a once-through process. For a lot of years now this has been simply too costly or outright prohibited, so most water-cooled units are on a closed loop setup with a cooling tower.

    It reminds me of when my father installed a number of commercial A/C systems in New Hampshire using chilled water coils and city water...which came from wells and was a constant 50F all year round...and all it went to directly to the sewer. They worked pretty well actually. When they started metering the water usage in the 1960's, he got to install cooling towers or air-cooled condensers.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,065
    The Pump & Dump was popular a few years ago...but I'm starting to become a family man.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,564
    What about the bumper dumper? http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    What about the bumper dumper? http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anytown USA
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    What about the bumper dumper? http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm
    I nominate for the best post of the day..

    Bumper Dumper. ****ing golden.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I suppose "Pump & Dump" originally got its name from back when many water-cooled refrigeration systems were of the open loop variety where either well water or city water cooling was a once-through process. For a lot of years now this has been simply too costly or outright prohibited, so most water-cooled units are on a closed loop setup with a cooling tower.

    It reminds me of when my father installed a number of commercial A/C systems in New Hampshire using chilled water coils and city water...which came from wells and was a constant 50ºF all year round...and all it went to directly to the sewer. They worked pretty well actually. When they started metering the water usage in the 1960's, he got to install cooling towers or air-cooled condensers.
    That's exactly what it is...city water thru the condenser and down the drain!!! We have 10 coolers and 5 freezers still on this setup!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tidewater, va
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    The Pump & Dump was popular a few years ago...but I'm starting to become a family man.
    lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event