+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chargeing with 404a

Post Likes

chargeing with 404a

is it ok to charge walk in freezer to full sight glass . no receiver water cooled condenser

Post Likes
    Should have a receiver if you have a tx valve.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Should have a receiver if you have a tx valve.
    Not if it's not a pumpdown. Might just be using a t-stat to control compressor. A clear glass would be a starting point. SC & SH would be the proper way to go. Make sure the water regulating valve is set properly.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    cycles on liquid line solinoid valve.compressor took a poop, was called to change out. copeland copelematic m. nrdi 031a tcf 800. going to change oil to ester before install. as well as ll drier and contactor. noticed someone has added suction drier canister with one core.no idea on history,not to familiar with low temp systems. thats why im asking about the charge.thanks

Post Likes
    No receiver ??

Is this condenser indoor on top of freezer ?

Post Likes
    You've got a receiver. Check under the condensing unit

Post Likes
    Yeaa full sight glass is a good start but then after you notice the bubbles just starting to disappear, start doing SH and SC. You don't want to over charge..

Post Likes
    Yeah, I bet there is a receiver under the unit.

Post Likes
    I bet the condenser is also the receiver.

Post Likes
    looks like discharge line off compressor goes to vessel under compressor then liquid line exits vessel to drier and sight glass then to evap to freezer. vessel has water line going into it with water regulater. regulator has cap tube that senses pressure via discharge port, then another line exiting vessel dumping water to open sight drain. dont see any receiver.

Post Likes
    have picture on iphone not sure how to post sorry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cannedheat View Post
    looks like discharge line off compressor goes to vessel under compressor then liquid line exits vessel to drier and sight glass then to evap to freezer. vessel has water line going into it with water regulater. regulator has cap tube that senses pressure via discharge port, then another line exiting vessel dumping water to open sight drain. dont see any receiver.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe based on the description this is a shell and coil type water cooled condenser and that the shell doubles as a receiver in this setup?

Post Likes
    so the reciever is the vessel and the condenser water is basicly a coil in the vessel condensing hot gas into liquid and storage before entering liquid line and so on..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I bet the condenser is also the receiver.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Not if it's not a pumpdown. Might just be using a t-stat to control compressor. A clear glass would be a starting point. SC & SH would be the proper way to go. Make sure the water regulating valve is set properly.
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    You ever tried charging a system with no receiver to a full glass???? It's never work well for me unless the condenser is oversized. They always spike the discharge pressure when the valve starts to throttle.

I may have, who knows? Which is why I said use it as a starting point and adjust as necessary. I normally don't see sight glasses on units without receivers.

Post Likes
    From the description this sounds like a WJWL water-cooled condensing unit, which has a shell & tube condenser...referred to in the old days as a condenser/receiver.

The refrigerant flows through the shell and the water through the tubes so there a significant liquid storage capacity with these condensers. I found some specs which indicate that this unit would have a pumpdown capacity of about 42 lbs...not bad for a 3 HP unit.

Here's a drawing:

WJWL-0300.pdf

Post Likes
    We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    We have quite a few of these and I was always told to charge to clear the glass. Make sure your water regulating valve is set properly and it'll be all good.

Ice- our old timer calls them a "pump and dump" system. Have you guys ever heard that?
    I suppose "Pump & Dump" originally got its name from back when many water-cooled refrigeration systems were of the open loop variety where either well water or city water cooling was a once-through process. For a lot of years now this has been simply too costly or outright prohibited, so most water-cooled units are on a closed loop setup with a cooling tower.

It reminds me of when my father installed a number of commercial A/C systems in New Hampshire using chilled water coils and city water...which came from wells and was a constant 50ºF all year round...and all it went to directly to the sewer. They worked pretty well actually. When they started metering the water usage in the 1960's, he got to install cooling towers or air-cooled condensers.

Post Likes
    The Pump & Dump was popular a few years ago...but I'm starting to become a family man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in