+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: charging 404a system

Post Likes

charging 404a system

when charging a walk in freezer, is it ok to charge to a full sight glass. there isnt a receiver. 404a.

Post Likes
    If the SC looks good and the glass is still flashing, stop charging. You are more concerned with the SC than the sight glass.

North sweden, Umeε, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Post Likes
    I've been told by my more learned colleauges that a system with txv and no reciever is pretty sensitive to charge. If it's not in right temp area. Charge'til it almost no flash. When close in themp it will stop flash and become clean sight glass. This is what i've performed on a pair of coolmax freezer units w/no reciever. Success every time. Ah... Subcool... let it be 'bout 5-6degF

Post Likes
    I dont use site glass for anything!

Post Likes
    No receiver, that could be a problem when it satisfies and pumps down. It does pump down, right?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigger b View Post
    No receiver, that could be a problem when it satisfies and pumps down. It does pump down, right?
    That would depend on a number of factors.

Length of the liquid line being pumped down would be the biggest.

Post Likes
    Walk in freezer with no receiver? Flashing sight glass is OK? Umm no!! TXV must have full colum of liquid. You cannot adjust TXV to proper superheat with out a full colum of liquid feeding it. It will hunt and never stabilize. Are you sure there is not a receiver?

Post Likes
    reason number 1 why manufacturers are getting rifd of sight glasses, people rely on them. weed out the non-professionals

Post Likes
    at least thats what all of the trade-show guys keep preaching to us and it seems to make sense.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmitch78 View Post
    reason number 1 why manufacturers are getting rifd of sight glasses, people rely on them. weed out the non-professionals
    I disagree with that statement. So if you mis-interpret your meter, you should not use it anymore? Sight glasses have their place and their purpose and refrigeration work is where you'll see them the most.

Post Likes
    Very bold statement to be making.

Got proof?

Post Likes
    well, companies that use sporlan and danfoss told us that's why manufacturers are *trying* to do away with them on their systems. maybe not weed out the suckers like i mis-spoke, but to try to differ people from relying on them i should have said.

Post Likes
    to quote national: "Do not replenish refrigerant solely because of bubbles in the sight glass. First find out the cause of the bubbles!" I'm thinking fractionization has an additional effect.

Post Likes
    There is a time to rely on a sightglass and a time NOT to rely on a sightglass.

A professional knows the difference.

Post Likes
    to quote national: "Do not replenish refrigerant solely because of bubbles in the sight glass. First find out the cause of the bubbles!" I'm thinking fractionization has an additional effect.
    Humor me and explain this a bit further please..... I'm with jp, someone who knows what they are doing will know what to do with it. You can't make our industry idiot proof no matter how hard they try to. Everyone of us works with someone or knows someone that proves that point.

Post Likes
    I am not a 404a expert by any means!!!
    But i do not think that any fractionization would be taking place in a 98* liquid line that is 100%liquid refrigerant subcooled 12*.

Just sayin!

I will look at the bubble point and come back.
    After i watch the voice with my daughter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    I am not a 404a expert by any means!!!
    But i do not think that any fractionization would be taking place in a 98* liquid line that is 100%liquid refrigerant subcooled 12*.

Just sayin!

I will look at the bubble point and come back.
    After i watch the voice with my daughter.
    You will do your homework during the commercial break and like it!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cannedheat View Post
    when charging a walk in freezer, is it ok to charge to a full sight glass. there isnt a receiver. 404a.
    There's a lot of variables to your question.

More specifics would be needed for your exact situation.

It's very possible that you need to leave the sight glass flashing & add a liquid/suction heat exchanger near the TEV.

Post Likes
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    You will do your homework during the commercial break and like it!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    if you charge to full sight glass you take good chance on a overcharge if you have a txv and the box is warm . i like sight glasses use full,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in