Exclamation

Hi:

In my York/UPG gas furnace, the inducer was making a noise but furnace was working good. Tapping the inducer helped the noise go away for a day. Heating worked well. The noise re-appeared next day. When inducer was opened, found a broken pencil in the inducer. Removed the pencil and reinstalled the inducer. The furnace worked well for a night.

However since the next night, the inducer is not turning on at all when heat is called for. Supplied 120VAC by cheating wire and inducer works well. There are no flash codes, no lockouts. The blower turns on but inducer does not turn on at all (of course no heat also). Replaced the control board 50A50-241 by 50A55-843 but the condition remains the same. Checked the pressure switch, roll-out, they are closed/short/zero ohm. Tried to press the reset on roll-out but it does not go in.

When door switch operated 4-5 times in quick succession, I see inducer turns on for 3-4 seconds and then the control board flashes code 5 i.e. roll-out switch. But the switch is found clsoed when tested using multi-meter. Going around the roll-out also does not help. If roll-out wires are kept open and door closed, the inducer turns on for 4-5 seocnds and then 5 flash codes are seen on control board. Please help with possible solutions. thanks a lot in advance fro your help.

Marath_a

could be alot of things,site rules do not permit do -it -yourself instructions,and for good reasons......call for a service call....it is certainly worth the cost,to have a properly operating furnance....after all,you replaced the control board on a guess,and that did not solve the problem......good luck!!!!!!!!......also,for your safety,and my peace of mind..NEVER,NEVER JUMP OUT ANY LIMIT OR SAFETY..........NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!........make that call now,please!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by too tall terry on 11-01-2006 at 03:41 PM]

tech replaced the board not me!

Too Tall Terry,

All this has been done by installer company's tech in this 5 year old furnace when I called him the first day when inducer started making noise. Being an automation and electrical engineer, I wrote my post in details so the case can be understood well by all of you.

I am frustrated to see that this tech also did not have a clear answer. In any case, he is coming back with roll-out switch to replace on Friday. I wanted to get some insight from the forum in advance. Thanks.

Marath_a

Call a different company...

Re: tech replaced the board not me!

Originally posted by marath_a
    Too Tall Terry,

All this has been done by installer company's tech in this 5 year old furnace when I called him the first day when inducer started making noise. Being an automation and electrical engineer, I wrote my post in details so the case can be understood well by all of you.

I am frustrated to see that this tech also did not have a clear answer. In any case, he is coming back with roll-out switch to replace on Friday. I wanted to get some insight from the forum in advance. Thanks.

Marath_a
    Marath-a, No where in your original post did you mention that the work was being performed by a service tech. So you did not write your post in detail so we could understand you. Call a different company or have them send out another tech, because they first guy sounds like a parts changer.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

I don't think a roll out switch will fix the problem. I think you need to get another company out to your house!

Originally posted by marath_a
    Hi:

Supplied 120VAC by cheating wire and inducer works well.

Marath_a
    Why would anyone try a new control board when a direct wire to the inducer was isntalled and the motor ran ?
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

why would he not jumper the switch if he suspected it was faulty? Multimeter does not lie, it seems there is no problem with the switch.
    "Go big or Go Home"

just curios how did a pencil get in the inducer motor to begin with also how did you get it out
    Knowledge comes with experience

nicklehead,

I suspect my neighbors kids dropped the pencil in the ventor/inducer outlet pipe this summer. The noise started when I first time lit the heater this season. There was no such problem in spring. Going by my experience on large cure ovens in the automotive factory I work at, my hunch is the troubleshooting should be very simple but this tech proved to be just a replacement guy as someone said here in forum.

Any way, thanks a lot to many of you who answered. I am calling another tech from another company.

First off have him learn to quit reading ohms when looking at a circuit. Either voltage is coming back or it's not.

Post the model number of your furnace.

You have a parts changer for a tech.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?