Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003


    Is anyone aware of any products that I could attach to the end of steel fish tape (for pulling cable / wire through walls) so that I could determine the location of the tip of the tape through a wall?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    if you know the general area, would a stud finder work?

    just thinking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    I was thinking about that too, but I'm usually fishing through studded drywall, and the hangups tend to be near studs/nails, so that doesn't really help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Naples, Fla.
    Yes, it's available @ Lowes. It's used to trace wires. It generates an electrical signal, you have a base unit (sender) & a handheld receiver. You can adjust the sensitivity & the thickness of your walls may be an issue - but it can be done. Look in the electric supply section, it's used to ring out phone lines, cable tv & elec.

    Be careful..... metal fish tapes conduct electricity.

    If you have problems finding it let me know, I'll dig mine out & get the mfg. name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event