Thread: Media filter pressure question

Post Likes

Media filter pressure question

I had spoken to a contractor who sounded like he was actually giving me good advice and knowledge, and after reading some more after the conversation, I've decided to go with a media filter instead of eac. in regards to this, just a quick question regarding some of the concerns ive read about,

i have a somewhat entry level furnace, single stage 75k btu, blower rated at around 1100~cfm. the aprilaire merv 11 media is rated at 0.08 wc drop. will i have an issue with pressure?

Post Likes
    What size is the filter?
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    It'll depend on the RA ductwork and grilles. Note: Normally the supply side is okay.

Post Likes
    oh sorry, thought i had typed that out . the aprilaire 2210 / 210 filter

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    It'll depend on the RA ductwork and grilles. Note: Normally the supply side is okay.
    duct is 16x25 (filter size) picture

Post Likes
    The drop (pictured) is fine. I'm asking about the ductwork size above it. Which way does the ductwork go? Is it a pretty even split? How many returns are off each end? How many RA grilles are there in the home?

The ductwork/grilles will be the problem, if any, not the AprilAire 2200. You said 2210? Is that a smaller one?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by a176 View Post
    I had spoken to a contractor who sounded like he was actually giving me good advice and knowledge, and after reading some more after the conversation, I've decided to go with a media filter instead of eac. in regards to this, just a quick question regarding some of the concerns ive read about,

i have a somewhat entry level furnace, single stage 75k btu, blower rated at around 1100~cfm. the aprilaire merv 11 media is rated at 0.08 wc drop. will i have an issue with pressure?
    Where are you getting the 0.08 pressure drop from?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Where are you getting the 0.08 pressure drop from?
    spec sheet

Post Likes
    The drop (pictured) is fine. I'm asking about the ductwork size above it. Which way does the ductwork go? Is it a pretty even split? How many returns are off each end? How many RA grilles are there in the home?

The ductwork/grilles will be the problem, if any, not the AprilAire 2200. You said 2210? Is that a smaller one?
    its a pretty even split yes. i have two returns, one coming from 1st floor, other coming from second floor. 2210 is the current model, its 25" depth.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by a176 View Post

i have a somewhat entry level furnace, single stage 75k btu, blower rated at around 1100~cfm. The aprilaire merv 11 media is rated at 0.08 IWC drop. will I have an issue with pressure?
    It's rated at; Air Flow @300 Fpm with Initial Resistance @0.08 in WC, Final Resistance @0.5 In WC.

The filter's free-air-area will put the initial velocity around twice that 300-fpm number.

A 16X25 filter is 400-sq,ins / 144 is 2.77-sf; * using .65% free-air-area = 1.8-sf.
    1100-CFM / 1.8-sf is 611-fpm velocity through a new clean filter.

A pleated filter is usually rated at 500-fpm initial velocity; therefore, the pressure drop will be considerable greater than what is stated at 300-fpm.

Post Likes
    Udarrell....I don't think the picture he sent was the AprilAire 2210. I'm assuming that the new filter will be much thicker.

The 2 returns don't sound like enough. what size are the grilles and where are they located? Floor or wall?

I have never heard of the 2210...I'll go online and have a look.

Post Likes
    I went to the AprilAire website and the model 2210 (media) looks very much like a Bryant/Carrier "E-Z flex" media.

The site said the maintenance requirerment is 1 to 2 years..............Right!

Post Likes
    I went to the AprilAire website and the model 2210 (media) looks very much like a Bryant/Carrier "E-Z flex" media.

The site said the maintenance requirerment is 1 to 2 years..............Right!
    On a very clean house with no activity.

Post Likes
    Udarrell....I don't think the picture he sent was the AprilAire 2210. I'm assuming that the new filter will be much thicker.

The 2 returns don't sound like enough. what size are the grilles and where are they located? Floor or wall?

I have never heard of the 2210...I'll go online and have a look.
    first floor is something like 30x8, second floor is something like 12x8

Post Likes
    I was afraid of that. You are way short. Did your HVAC guy look at the RA to make sure it was okay?

You're about half of what you need.

Post Likes
    hes coming next week but i just wanted to educate myself prior to that. thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    Let him explain to you his thoughts and then get back with us. If you try to educate him, he'll just push back with this and that.

You will not be any farther ahead if you tell him what we told you. I was in sales for more than 30yrs. and I was always trying to correct false information.

I would tell the customers that the HVAC guys (that gave the info.) either did not know the answer or were not telling the truth. Which would you chose?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in