+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100 ton Carrier

Post Likes

100 ton Carrier

100 Ton carrier, Less than a year old. Installed by a resi shop.

Name:  20121113_082346.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  24.2 KBName:  20121113_091847_resized_1.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  36.4 KBName:  20121113_091911.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  54.5 KBName:  20121113_102458_resized.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  42.0 KB

On start-up, they didn't tighten the set screws. Blower wheel walked and blew out the wheel, shaft, bearings, housing. They won't warranty it. Now this poor guy had to fork out 7k to repair it.

Post Likes
    Can't think of everything! It was just a little set screw. That blows dude. Ignorance costs money now or later...

CT

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    I love carnage like that!

My all time favorite was watching one of my competitors remove a 30 ton package unit from atop a car dealership in NE Philly. The unit tilted to one side when a strap slipped a bit. The door fell off and a disconnected semi hermetic compressor fell out of the unit landing on the owners car. I had originally disconnected the compressor to send it out for a rebuild, the owner in the mean time told us he wanted to wait until next spring. Next spring came and the owner decided he didn't like us anymore. That was a good lesson to learn, we make sure all covers are tight and there are no loose components rattling around inside any units before attaching to the crane.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post

My all time favorite was watching one of my competitors remove a 30 ton package unit from atop a car dealership in NE Philly. The unit tilted to one side when a strap slipped a bit. The door fell off and a disconnected semi hermetic compressor fell out of the unit landing on the owners car. I had originally disconnected the compressor to send it out for a rebuild, the owner in the mean time told us he wanted to wait until next spring. Next spring came and the owner decided he didn't like us anymore. That was a good lesson to learn, we make sure all covers are tight and there are no loose components rattling around inside any units before attaching to the crane.
    Please tell me you got a picture of that!

Post Likes
    Which I why you never get under a suspended load.

Sucks about the set screw.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post

That probably looked like Tim Taylor drooping the beam on Jills car!

Post Likes
    We had a factory start-up on a Carrier Chiller, he spent 2 days there, about 5 months later, I go out and find burn't wires in pump motors, burn't wires on contactors, burn't breakers, charge gone, guy never tightened any wires Carrier didn't pay for anything, charge gone due to leak, that happens, not holding him responsible for that, but the rest??????

Post Likes
    start up is more than throwing the switch. i have found carrier equipment to be notorious for loose screws. especially condensor fan blades. i dont buy the "loosen during shipping" bs.
    if it doesnt loosen after 10 years of operation how the heck can it loosen during shipping.
    POS
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    I just did a startup on some Lennox roof tops, 4 of them. Out of the 4 I found 2 pulley set screws loose, one blower wheel hitting the housing, 5 terminals out of all contactors has loose terminals, and I was missing 2 mixed air sensors for the economizers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    I just did a startup on some Lennox roof tops, 4 of them. Out of the 4 I found 2 pulley set screws loose, one blower wheel hitting the housing, 5 terminals out of all contactors has loose terminals, and I was missing 2 mixed air sensors for the economizers.
    at a boy dave
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Good, I am glad this happened.

You get what you pay for.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Maybe this should happen next if they don't take care of the belt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post

Wow that's a train wreck and a half. Almost take my chances with it hitting the evaporator.

Post Likes
    Snip
    No joke, that looks exactly like an old Carrier I got on a call about 5yrs ago.

Took me two full days to rewire that POS, turned on the disconnect and took half the power out in the neighborhood. Had two wires crossed up creating a phase to phase short, somehow blew the fuse in a main line transformer out on the street, watched it cook off from the roof. Manager came running up on the roof asking if I was OK, played stupid as if I was still working on the unit and had no idea what happened, they bought it hook, line, and sinker and called the power co. Power co shows up, replaces the fuse while I am still pretending to work, I get my wiring straightened out, fire the pig up, and look like a hero.

True story.
    UA LU189

Post Likes

LMAO- Now that's just funny right there!!!

Post Likes

Great reason to have a camera so you can justify your time afterwards.

Loose belt and you billed two days!!!!

Bust out the pics.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in