Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not one to ask for directions ..or help ...but
    time is an issue... so blah blah blah.

furnace I am installing is GMV9115dxa-93%
    Why the Amv9115dxa is 95%and this one is not is another but the customer is angry already as the 2% difference screws up his fed tax credit.

Ok here is the dilemma:

A connection on the primary limit got broken during gas pipe install. Hooked everything up and bypassed the primary limit just to see if the b*tch would fire up. It didn't fan only works, cooling fan/condensing unit comes on.heat no..but circuit board constant LED flash which manual says is reversed polarity... Ok check breaker ohm line m,ake sure it is a direct connect it is. Black hot -white neutral connected properly ok though what the F_ck. It is a goodman .Reverse it strange blower and vent fan come on and at high speed but no flahing lights... but gas valve does not no spark, no fire ... Manual also says could be bad ground. electrical I used was existing bx 2 wire 1 hot , 1 neutral and bx casing should be good for the ground.
    Anyway when I put polarity back correctly same thing happened continuous flash. However when i disconnected the bypass I amde to the primary limit both blower and vent fan came on.

So any good ideas?
    Getting the limit switch tomorrow and considering running new electric line to system with a direct ground not using the bx casing as ground.

But also thinking the circuit board ... Why if when the polarity was actually incorrect it did not flash this and when itr is correct it does and whenm i leave primary limit open it does not flash this?

Well hopefullythis comes to me in a dream tonite or in the morning when i check the board.

Otherwise I will be in meter-ville tomorrow chasing phantoms of Goodmanvania ...
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN...

These new furnaces of ANY and ALL brands MUST be properly grounded....

I had one that did strange things like you describe.
    Find a good EARTH ground, connect a wire between it and the furnace cabnet, and mail me the diagnosis fee....

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Check the phase on the secondary side of the transformer. It can be out of phase even if the 110V polarity is correct.

If the transformer is out of phase it will flash the code for polarity.

If it is out of phase just swap the wires on the secondary side.

Does the diagnosis fee have to be grounded? But really i would think BX is very grounded?

Hmmm maybe it just needs a few illegals holding hands and the last one sitting in a metal washtub....

Another problem that is easily solved by day labor....

Actually I will try grouding this POS seperately tomorrow and see what happens ... but that still begs the question of why when I actually did reverse the polarity why did the circuit board not flash that ....
    I have 2 ideas ... ok maybe if the BX is not properly grounding it when it is reversed the board cannot realize it or....
    It's a Goodman....
    though I like Goodman A/C-- less whistles less problems ...

Anyone else have an idea?

Originally posted by classical
    Check the phase on the secondary side of the transformer. It can be out of phase even if the 110V polarity is correct.

If the transformer is out of phase it will flash the code for polarity.

If it is out of phase just swap the wires on the secondary side.
    Well I will do that ..but that would mean the maquilladora worker was having a real bad day...I always assume the factory wiring is correct and it's me....
    Ironic if the whole problem is low self esteem

If you feel so strongly that these furnaces are POS's why do you sell and install them?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Actually no I do not feeel strongly they are a P.OS. and if I sold them regularly I would not be posting this. I normally do A/c and refrigeration only. Iused to install many Goodman A/C's as they because of pricing they were preferred by landlords but I liked them because in my experience ... a Carrier pressure switch(1 yr warranty) will go(job security) before a Goodman dies (5yr all parts)... I understand the "protection" philosophy ..being part Italian but 90% of the time it is the protection switch that goes bad not the component it was trying to protect... thus my statement ... less whistles ... less problems.. but seriously I do have a problem with this P.O.S. ..figuratively speaking

Oh I do not normally sell Goodman . I normally sell Coleman but in trying to get better pricing i kind of tried to get a bidding war going with a different distributor .... but quality of install is better than brand hands down and if I did not care ... I would not be here asking for help(which I hate) but I believe my problem is "brand specific" thus the "Goodman Hell" thread title

Your problem is not "brand" specific, it is "installer" specific.

Fix what you broke and get the proper parts in the unit in the proper way they were before you broke them, then let the HO enjoy their new purchase.

Also, if you had purchased the GMV95*** furnace you would not have angered the HO about the DOE credit.

You really should know a product before you sell it and install it. Whether you appreciate it or not, you are installing one of the best furnaces on the market.

SO; DID YOU BRING THE RETURN FROM THE BOTTOM OR BOTH SIDES OF THAT FURNACE?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

If you cannot get your furnace fixed properly, and you are in mid or southern NJ, you do have excellent regional tech support available to you. He's not as good as his predecessor, but then who is? Tell your distributor you want to contact the regional tech rep.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Your problem is not "brand" specific, it is "installer" specific.

Fix what you broke and get the proper parts in the unit in the proper way they were before you broke them, then let the HO enjoy their new purchase.

Also, if you had purchased the GMV95*** furnace you would not have angered the HO about the DOE credit.

You really should know a product before you sell it and install it. Whether you appreciate it or not, you are installing one of the best furnaces on the market.

SO; DID YOU BRING THE RETURN FROM THE BOTTOM OR BOTH SIDES OF THAT FURNACE?
    The return is connected to the existing duct work on the left side of the furnace only.It is not installed as direct vent but single pipe out.I am in North jersey and I will ask @ Universal who the rep is...and I am sure he is no where near as good as his predecessor....."whoever that could be"...lol

Also Yes I know now the GMV95 is the 95% variable speed but I do find it strange that the Amana 96% model # is AMV9115dxa you would think the GMV9115dxa would be the 95% goodman furnace. My bad for assuming that.

I did not break the primary limit switch the plumber connecting the gas line for the furnace and hot water heater did but I am replacing it this morning. As for installer/brand specific i normally assume it is me first then the machine.I have read the manual i do not see anything I have done wrong in the installation and that is why I made my post. Well that and i was a little frustrated by the time I got home after screwing with it.

As for knowing a product before I sell and install it. I would gladly welcome Goodman sending 1 of all it's models to me so I could bond with them and get to know them but I doubt they will. Actually this job is being done for a relative and i am using him as guinea pig as I mentioned earlier I am consideing switching distributors which would mean switching from selling york/coleman to selling goodman/amana.

First off a transformer being out of phase has nothing to do with how the unit was wired at the factory. It can occur with any transformer at any time.

Polarity issues and grounding issues can occur with any brand. I have had more gounding issues with Lennox than other brands but I don't blame Lennox.

I am still perplexed on this one even after seperately grounding the unit to a water pipe with a clamp but I still get the continuous LED Flash which translate into bad ground or reversed 115 volt polarity(which it is not).
    Fan only comes on when called but lights still blink continuous. On heat stage 1 or 2 inducer starts for a second cuts off and LED starts blinking constantly.

Voltage though is 130 volts across ground and across neutral and at the breaker wondering if the voltage is too much for the board???

That is my best analysis at this point. i guess I will have to get on the phone with a Mr Goodman rep tomorrow or Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast