+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFPA70E Arc Flash Regulation

Post Likes

NFPA70E Arc Flash Regulation

The company I work for recently adopted a uniform policy conforming to the NFPA70E. How many of you out there are working for a company doing the same. We have had alot of backlash, mostly about long sleeves in the summer. We are a large company who had to look out for the best interest of the employees as well as the company.

Post Likes
    I'll say be prepared to sweat your gonads off in the summer. Its something we all have to live with now. Suit up when you have to, lose the sweater vest when you don't need it. If you have seen he videos or had any form of training the resistance will be minimal. Go on YouTube and search arc flash explosions and you will soon understand why your coworkers need to be smart and suit up.

Post Likes
    Been with the program for two years now.

We have adapted to it well. A few suggestions that helped.

Use the videos of actual events as a training tool. Nothing gets attention like a video of an actual accident happening.

Buy the overall suits. DO NOT force employees to wear long sleeve fireproof clothing all the time, it's totally unnecessary, we put the suits on as needed. AKA: We don't need to be wearing long sleeve FP rated shirts while washing coils or changing out a heat exchanger.

Get professionally fitted. Don't expect an employee to put on a hot, scratchy, uncomfortable suit that is too small and rides the crotch on a 100*F summer day. Get them right the first time, get everyone fitted.

Buy a cheap washer and drier and set them up in the shop. Have the guys come in once a month (or more) and wash them properly. This will not only prolong the life of the suit by keeping it clean, it will invite guys to wear them more. No one wants to put on a stinky crusty suit.

Buy spare face shields, they will crack, especially in cold weather.

Buy a HARD storage case for the suits. I had a duffel bag for mine, it provided no protection for the helmet, face shield, or suit and bouncing around in the back of the truck caused rips, tears, and busted face shields. A Tupperware container solved this.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    At my company they trained us and gave us the special uniform shirts. They also gave us the rubber gloves with the leather protectors. We wear the same uniforms we had, they told us the only time we need to wear the special arc flash long sleeve shirt and big rubber gloves, is when we are exposed to live electical parts we could contact, like when you are checking for voltage with your meter. Once the unit is locked out we can just wear our regular uniform with the short sleeves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    At my company they trained us and gave us the special uniform shirts. They also gave us the rubber gloves with the leather protectors. We wear the same uniforms we had, they told us the only time we need to wear the special arc flash long sleeve shirt and big rubber gloves, is when we are exposed to live electical parts we could contact, like when you are checking for voltage with your meter. Once the unit is locked out we can just wear our regular uniform with the short sleeves.
    How do you test for voltage after locking and tagging a unit?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    How do you test for voltage after locking and tagging a unit?
    What I meant was we wear the arc flash when the power is on, and once we lock out the unit we don't have to wear the arc flash anymore.

Post Likes
    What I meant was we wear the arc flash when the power is on, and once we lock out the unit AND CONFIRM, USING AN ELECTRICAL METER, THAT ALL ELECTRICAL SOURCES ARE DE ENERGIZED, we don't have to wear the arc flash anymore.
    I think this is what you meant to say, right?
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Also make sure you have the right rated equipment for the job you do. I do a lot of 480 volt work but the company only issued me a category 1 shirt. Have a procedure in place so you always do it in the same order, that way you don't forget. Remember all cotton shirts and draws under the other uniform.

We have been on board now for 3 years...I think I forgot to mention that.

Post Likes
    It sounds like you guys have a lot more than they gave us. They gave us a long sleeve shirt, pants, rubber gloves with leather protectors, and a pair of safety glasses.

Post Likes
    I just took the full training class about a month ago. Very valuable info.

This is a coarse that every tech should take. I did not think anything of it till I learned the hazards and how quick you can be seriously or fatally injured. Many of us are in panels all the time and do not take the proper precautions or wear the proper safety equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    I have FRC on right now. Hot hot hot

Post Likes
    It sounds like you guys have a lot more than they gave us. They gave us a long sleeve shirt, pants, rubber gloves with leather protectors, and a pair of safety glasses.
    This is what we are getting... 8cal kit.

Name:  oel-8cal-arc-flash-suit.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  23.0 KB
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I see, thats a bit more than they gave us, thanks for the picture.

Post Likes
    We are using cintas for the clothes. Purchased gloves and face shield. 8 cal clothing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in