Question

I get out of school in a few months. I was wondering what do entry level guys get in Mass in commercial or refrigeration(I have some residential experince).

Also

Ive heard about some guys having a hard time finding work. How is the job market (commercial and refrigeration) in Mass and southern NH?

Any one have any suggestions or know or any good companies to work for in this area?

I honestly just want to get my foot in the door and learn not looking for money but I dont want to say "whatever you want to pay me, I just want to learn" when they ask me at the interview.

Thank you I appreciate any and all advice. Im glad I found this site, I allready got a lot of useful information.

Newbee, ILL jump in since no one else is! From wisc. but the one thing to remember is to keep taking those seminars and any extra courses that will help you advance. The work is suppose to be out there, dont know about your area, but go online and youll see what I mean. Keep learning, studying it will pay off.Get your foot in the door. Once you do that you can go to another company and do better for yourself, good luck!!

Thanks Vlux. One thing though, (Im in a hvac school now)what are the seminars you mentioned? are those the ones that are at the supply houses sometimes? Not biggie just curious, thanks again.

Im in the north shore area.I have not had trouble finding work,have only actually looked a few times.Guys around here are always hiring.More are taking on new hires in the spring than are around this time of year.There are alot of companies that carry their good techs thru the fall and early winter if biz is slow.Last winter was not the best so many might not hire until the cold comes.Where are you located?What school are you going to?

Im moving to the burlington area. I am going to bay state school of technology. I have about 5 months of residential, left there to go to school. Im just kind of worried because I heard that around 10 guys from the last graduating class havent found work yet (there are a lot of people here I wouldnt let in my home let alone hire haha so I dont know what the reason is though). Im just trying to get a feel for whats out there and get a head start about what I can expect. Im also wondering if anyone knows of any companies that they would say are good to go to. You havent had a hard time finding work, do you have a few years of experience and is that the key? Any suggestions would be great thanks for the advice so far.

Hello Newbeee,

Getting into the trade can be hard. We all want the guys with years of experience.

If you are clean cut and willing to learn openings can be found. You must show up on time every day. A positive attitude goes along way with employers. Your schooling at Bay State is just a start to nail down the basics. You will need to take every class offered to you.

I have hired my share of new Technicians over the years. Some made out very well and have earned a good living. Others where just not cut out for the HVAC trade. The company you work for is very important. Some will use you up and you will never advance others will train you and bring you along. Just something to think about. I have a second year Tech doing a startup on a new 120 ton Trane unit this week. He has a 25 year man with him but the young guy is doing the work. Great learning experience for the guy as well as a big benefit to me.

The pay range will be all over the map. I would think $12.00 to $15.00 an hour would be attainable in a year.

Thanks. Thats good news. Thats mostly what I have been hearing.