Hybrid View

Confused Carrier 58SXA080 IDR Board

I am working on a Carrier 58SXA080 100 JG that is not getting power to the Inducer. I have 27V to W and to the Inducer Draft Relay on the Red wire through the Limit. I have 115V to the IDR also, but nothing coming out to the Inducer Plug. The NC contact on the Pressure switch is closed and the limit is closed. I assumed that the IDR was bad.

I replaced the IDR board and the system started. I cycled with the t-stat and everything ran great. On the third start-up it gave the same problem. I can't find any shorts or odd voltages to suggest something shorting the board. I checked the limit again and it was closed. I have 27V and 115V to the IDR.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by mav2909 View Post
    I am working on a Carrier 58SXA080 100 JG that is not getting power to the Inducer.

I have 27V to W and to the Inducer Draft Relay on the Red wire through the Limit. The NC contact on the Pressure switch is closed and the limit is closed. I assumed that the IDR was bad. Any ideas?
    It has been awhile since i've looked at one of these units, but isn't the "RED" wire to the IDR always hot?

The "NC" pressure switch is closed, but is any voltage going through it?

Doesn't the "W" circuit come out of the board via the Orange wire and go through the Ignitor/Lockout Control (ILO) to the IDR?

Does the Orange wire at the IDR have 24 volts?

Why the unit worked a couple times after you replace the IDR and not now, I can't answer. It just sounds like the IDR isn't getting power to activate the relay.

I think your best bet is to get the wiring diagram and see where you are losing voltage.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

I was checking voltage to plug for the IDR (unplugged). I have 27V out of the main board on the red wire, through the limit to the IDR. I have 27V out of the main board on the orange wire through the ILO to the IDR. The pressure switch is closed and I have continuity through it. I have 122V through the main board to the IDR. Nothing coming out the IDR to the Inducer Motor.

When I Plug the IDR board in I have 27V out the main board on red and orange, but I checked voltage on the NC and C of the pressure switch and only have 23V. I jumped the pressure switch and still only have 23V on the orange wire at the IDR.

When the IDR is unplugged I have 27V everywhere I should, but only 23V on the IDR when plugged in, and I still have 27V on the transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by mav2909 View Post
    When I Plug the IDR board in I have 27V out the main board on red and orange, but I checked voltage on the NC and C of the pressure switch and only have 23V. I jumped the pressure switch and still only have 23V on the orange wire at the IDR.
    When you say you checked the voltage at "NC" and "C" and got 23v, you did mean you tested each of those points to common (SEC2) - correct? Which should then give you zero volts across those two terminals.

Have you tried removing the pressure switch completely from the circuit to see if you still have 23v on the orange wire when "PL2" is plugged into the IDR?

I would even unplug the 2 wires from the IDM and see if the voltage goes back to 27v.

It does sound like the IDR is bad again, but something is amiss if it worked a few times when replaced, and then failed again.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.