How to find a good heating oil company...(S.E.Pa.)

I am shopping aorund for a new heating oil company, as my old one is getting to be just too expensive, even though I like them a lot. Other than searching for reviews of various companies online, which is hit or miss, how can I find a good one who has clean oil, won't rip me off, won't spill oil, etc? What should I be asking?

BTW, I am in the suburbs just west of Philadelphia if anyone has specific recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by newlyn View Post
    I am shopping aorund for a new heating oil company, as my old one is getting to be just too expensive, even though I like them a lot. Other than searching for reviews of various companies online, which is hit or miss, how can I find a good one who has clean oil, won't rip me off, won't spill oil, etc? What should I be asking?

BTW, I am in the suburbs just west of Philadelphia if anyone has specific recommendations.
    Should be asking for quotes to get rid of the oil burner.

no gas on my street. would cost $16,000 to extend the gas main.

Go propane

Do some research and compare propane vs oil in your area.

As OldSchoolMech said, "Go Propane"

Propane could be the same cost as your oil. You can squeeze a little more efficiency out of it though and maintenance will be cheaper and no more oil mess.

As far as new company. Do some reviews. Word of mouth.

Ask them if they have journeyman techs, member of ACCA, combustion certified.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    As far as new company. Do some reviews. Word of mouth.

Ask them if they have journeyman techs, member of ACCA, combustion certified.
    He's looking for a cheaper company. One that has what you mentioned, won't be cheap.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

if you have a furnace go duel fuel if you have hydronic get a mod con boiler
    We really need change now

Agreed. Heat pump with propane backup. If you ever get natural gas you can convert it within 1/2hr at essentially no cost.

Look, I don't need a new boiler. I am just looking for a new oil company. I don't need or necessarily want the cheapest, it is just that mine is consistently $.30 per gallon more than the competition.

Gravity, I don't know what any of that means ("journeyman techs, member of ACCA, combustion certified"), but that is the kind of thing I am looking for. Thanks.

Despite all the oil bashers, the OP is looking for a new oil company. I may be in your area and would be happy to chat with you. There are many smaller, family run heating oil companies, fully qualified, fully certified, who will give you great service at a better price.

the most trusting way is word of mouth. ask your neibors, when you are driving around look for oil delivery truck. also you should research the service side of the company. make sure they are reliable and have enough techs.