OK, Final Question for VF Gas Log or V. Gas Log ?

Exclamation

I am really sorry that I have to bring the same issue here, but I need a help quickly. I read all the debates for VF gas log and Vented log. And I called some local shops, and visited to get more information. But I cannot make a decision. I have a new house that was built in 2005. The main living area size is around 1800 sq with 15 ft ceiling and it is open wide. I have a fire place in the middle of living room that has a vent. The main reason I am looking for gas log is that I need a secondary heat source. During winter season, my main floor is very cold even if I set temp high. I use real woods for fireplace last year, but it is not effcient. Please give me advice plz.
    Second question is do I need to install a dual fuel heat pump for better heating solution for my house? I paid over $470/month gas bill (set thermostats at 70 F, in Buford, GA). Please give me some advice.
    Thank you

In most cold climate states VF appliances are illegal in houses built anytime recently. This is because the construction is so tight that it does not allow for enough air turnover to get all the combustion by-products out of the home. If you want another heat source I would look at a high efficiency wood or gas insert to place inside your assumingly inefficient wood fireplace. Vented gas logs are "decorative" appliances because they provide no real heat to the home, they just heat the immediate surrounds and suck a bunch of air up the chimney.

Sorry I know nothing about the "dual fuel heat pump" question.

---

I just noticed you said you live in GA (I think)... I think VF might be legal there but still would not recommend it, especially if your house is built tight (insulation and the whole works).

Thumbs up Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for your quick respond. So I am not getting a VF log for sure. Then I have to go with vented log or gas insert(?) sorry to ask you again. I do not have any knowledge for gas insert. Would you give me some details?
    Thanks again.

Re: Thank you for your advice.

Vented gas logs are "decorative" appliances because they provide no real heat to the home, they just heat the immediate surrounds and suck a bunch of air up the chimney.
    If you want another heat source I would look at a high efficiency wood or gas insert to place inside your assumingly inefficient wood fireplace.
    Basically... gas logs provide next to no heat output into the home, if you want an extra heat source you NEED to get an insert.

Smile thanks again

thank you again.

I did some homework, and I found that your advice is perfectly right. next question is there are too many Gas Insert to choose from. Is any suggestion model or brand for my case ( high BTU or Efficency and Reliable Brand) ?

thanks

Also, do I have to hire a pro for installation? or DIY?

Well your choices are really limited by the size of the firebox it is going into. If its a prefab (metal) fireplace then some of them the bottom can be cut out to allow a larger insert. I like the FB series from Heat & Glo but I am biased. They do have a really nice flame and kick out a lot of heat though.

http://www.heatnglo.com/products/inserts/gasInserts.asp

Inserts are not too hard to install but I still think it would be worth it to have a pro do the work. If you install it yourself and then have problems later it could come back to an installation problem which would not be covered by the warranty.

thank you

Very helpful information you give me.

I ordered the one you rec. FB Series to RCS.

RCS will give me free estimate for a gas insert installation.

thanks for everything.

I almost bought for VF log.

thanks again