I have an American Standard Freedom 80 furnace connected to a Honeywell 2-stage thermostat. The system works fine 99% of the time. However, during some cycles I hear the thermostat click off and notice that the entire furnace (including the blower) shuts down immediately. In most cases, subsequent cycles will include a normal "fan-off" period after the thermostat clicks off. The behavior is hard to reproduce and seems fairly random -- but I know I am not imagining it. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be happening? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance.

Depending how the over temp protection works, this could be a sign of a serious problem. If the over temp sensor cut's off the AC power completly, this would account for the fan going down as well. If the unit is overheating it need to be fixed ASAP befoire a fire results.

Have it checked out.

The fan would (should) remain on in an over temperature condition.

sounds like an itermittant loss of power to the fan relay on the circuit board. The relay on the board is simply a timer, and unless you are losing 120 V , the fan should remain on during cool down

sounds like a job for a pro.

Thanks for the advice.

I've asked the install company about this a couple of times when I've had my annual maintenance. They've "never found anything wrong."

As I go looking for a person with the knowledge to troubleshoot this, what sort of questions should I ask to assess their ability to figure out what's going on?

Thanks again.