Confused about Brands vs. Install

Hi,

We need to replace a 15 year gas pack that serves the downstairs portion of our home.

2 quotes so far and waiting on a 3rd.

One quote is a for a Goodman 13 SEER 2.5 ton and the other is for a Lennox 13 SEER 2.5 ton (sorry I do not have the model number details handy at present). I believe the 3rd quote will be for a Trane unit. The Goodman offers 10 years on parts and 1 year on labor. The Lennox offers 10 years on parts and labor together. Not sure what the Trane will offer.

I am getting conflicting guidance on the difference between the brands. Some say Goodman is low end (just above builder's grade) and others say it is built in the same factory as Trane and there is no difference.

I am also seeing conflicting information on Lennox. Some say it is high quality and others say it is not.

To make it more confusing, I am reading that far above brand, the quality of the install trumps everything. In other words, a lower end unit could be just fine assuming the install is done correctly.

Would be grateful for some guidance and informed viewpoints on these issues. Thanks.

1st Goodman is not made in the Trane factory, I have been through the Trane factory twice.

2nd Install is more important than brand. Get references, check them out carefully, do you homework on the dealer, go look at the install if you can, are their other customers happy with what was done.

3rd go to ACCA, look for the Residential Quality HVAC installation www.acca.org/quality. This is a form, has questions to ask the dealer, what ot look for in their answers, and a scoring system to evaluate the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    1st Goodman is not made in the Trane factory, I have been through the Trane factory twice.

2nd Install is more important than brand. Get references, check them out carefully, do you homework on the dealer, go look at the install if you can, are their other customers happy with what was done.

3rd go to ACCA, look for the Residential Quality HVAC installation www.acca.org/quality. This is a form, has questions to ask the dealer, what ot look for in their answers, and a scoring system to evaluate the dealer.

Thanks. One of the contractors pointed out that our current return vent is rated for a 2 ton unit and needs to be enlarged or supplemented with a 2nd return to accommodate the air flow of a 2.5 ton unit.

The other contractor made no mention of an undersized return and did not appear to my untrained eye to have taken any of this into consideration.

From this perspective alone, I am starting to wonder if the contractor quoting the lowest price is more focused on selling me equipment than performing a good install of the equipment that I need.

There is so much out there in terms of choice when it comes to equipment and contractors that it gets very confusing.

Work is more important then equipment, IMHO. A top of the line bestest unit money can buy put in wrong is worse then a contractor grade unit put in rite.

Most comfort issues in the home are from poorly designed duct system and undersized ducts. Sounds like one of your dealers is looking to do the job right.