+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goodman condensers leaking?

Post Likes

Goodman condensers leaking?

Do Goodman condensing units seem to leak more often than others? The copper runs seem to be awfully small compared to a Trane, Rheem, York, etc... of the same tonnage. Anybody else out there find that these seem to fail under warranty more often than other equipment? Are they worth selling if this is the case?

Post Likes
    I have run into the same thing with Goodman condensing units, especially older models. They will leak right in the coil itself and most of the time they are down low in the coil. I used to take a pair of needle nose pliers and rip out the aluminum fins surrounding the copper and repair the leak. Most of the time it is a thin hairline crack in the tubing. I don't repair them anymore I just replace the coil. But yeah they are junk.

Post Likes
    not my favorite brand..... I like the furnaces ..... the condensing units...... not so much
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I changed a Goodman condenser under warranty last month.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I have repaired several OTHER brands with the same problem.
    Usually an older unit though.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    Changed dozens of trane spiney fin coils. Many heil at the tube sheet. I have personally seen very few goodman coil leaks. I suppose climate plays some part in this.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Changed dozens of trane spiney fin coils. Many heil at the tube sheet. I have personally seen very few goodman coil leaks. I suppose climate plays some part in this.
    I would imagine it could......Goodman is o.k. but not my personal choice
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    This summer I've found about six goodmans leaking from the evaporator, in all I think we replaced about 2 or 3 dozen evaporators this summer all 4-6 years old. But we service a lot of Goodman equipment and they aren't the only one we found with leaks from 410A and formic corrosion, and the new ones we installed were the all aluminum ones do hopefully they hold up better.
    Last edited by philjafo; 11-09-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: forgot to finish my thought

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    This summer I've found about six goodmans leaking from the evaporator, in all I think we replaced about 2 or 3 dozen evaporators this summer all 4-6 years old. But we service a lot of Goodman equipment and they aren't the only one we found with leaks from 410A and formic corrosion, and the new ones we installed were the all aluminum ones do hopefully they hold up better.
    We did a large apartment building this year with nothing but Goodman, 180 units or so. We had around 16 leaking coils right out of the box. Coils and hot surface ignitors were a big issue.
    I never want to see another Goodman again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in