I am revovating a house in Brattleboro Vermont, and will be replacing the oil burning furnace; but retaining the existing duct work for the forced air heating system. The work will be done by a local contractor.

I am considering the feasablity and cost/benifit trade off of installing several automated small fans, louvers and temperature sensors so as to enable room-by-room temperature control. I would like to be able to control the system from a pc (running linux), and also generate reports from the raw data.

I will live in this house, but I will also have some renters. I would like the residents to be able to decide how much heat they want, and charge them based on their usage. Hence the need for the reporting data.

I am a computer programmer, and would probably end up writing my own data processing code; that is the only part of the project which is DIY. I am most interested in getting information on the sensors and servos that would be needed and finding someone knowaleagle to install them, as this is beyond my contractor's experience. I would also be interested in some controller software with an API that I can interact with from the JAVA or Python computer language on LINUX.