+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natural Gas Measuring Device

Post Likes

Natural Gas Measuring Device

I have contacted our local nat gas supplier and a few vendors but to no avail. We are looking to add a device to measure the amount of nat gas we use. One we were told there was a device that would measure cubic ft per turn but haven't found it.
    Does anyone know of a device where we can intigrate it into our BAS?
    How are others measuring nat gas coming into a facility?

Post Likes
    Have the supplier install a gas meter that gives a pulse for x amount of cubic feet used. Or add one of these http://www.imacsystems.com/Domestic_Meter_Pulser.pdf but most likely the gas supplier will go nuts on you because you added something to thier meter and will remove it.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Sonix 2000 gas meter

Post Likes
    there are plenty of meters out there that will deliver a volume/pulse .
    this will be good for correlating volume against yr gas bill, it probably wont however be any good for correlating dollars because you cannot know the gas pressure, and hence the gas density. most gas bills have a pressure correction factor that gets applied because the heating value of the gas depends on density.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes
    You guys ROCK!

Name:  zep.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  10.0 KB

Thanks. I can write the calculations in the logic to convert to therms and save the data no problem but no one (even called meter supplier) could give me anything that would deliver a pulse. I knew they were out there but the rep literally told me there was no such thing. If I can get a pulse I can do the rest. I am looking to do this w/ water meters also. since I am in the education business (public k-12) I am wanting to build an energy dashboard for each campus showing realtime data and collecting that data in ALC Energy Reports. If I can get this right it will automatically show monthly consumption, real time consumption and compare campuses to each other. I plan on setting up a keosk at each campus. maybe start a little rivalry. Again thanks.

Post Likes
    Just recently set up a Dattus III meter with a Modbus interface. This is also being brought into Energy Reports also. PIA to figure out what points to use, but works well. The interface can tell you ALOT of info, pressure, volume, even gas temperature and battery voltage.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I am asuming you integrated it w/ WebCtrl. (PIA?) Did you bring it into the LGR or another way?

Post Likes
    WebCTRL wasn't the PIA, it was figuring out how to talk to the meter and how to get what I wanted out of it.
    The first thing was to establish communication to it. The thing that is easy to skip over is that you have to power the DTR pin/wire
    if you don't have it connected to a computer. So I used the 12 volts DC from the RNET connection (using an EQ-PRTL).
    The other was what points to use and how to use them. (See Picture). I finally talked to tech support and they told me what was needed to get what I wanted.

Name:  meter_math.PNG
Views: 1594
Size:  4.0 KB
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    WebCTRL wasn't the PIA, it was figuring out how to talk to the meter and how to get what I wanted out of it.
    The first thing was to establish communication to it. The thing that is easy to skip over is that you have to power the DTR pin/wire
    if you don't have it connected to a computer. So I used the 12 volts DC from the RNET connection (using an EQ-PRTL).
    The other was what points to use and how to use them. (See Picture). I finally talked to tech support and they told me what was needed to get what I wanted.
    Thanks. I've got an EQ-PRTL coming back from repairs. I'll give that a shot. Locate it about 6' from meter in conditioned space. Shouldn't be a problem. This should be a nice little fix.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in