Angry WaterFurnace woes :(

I posted on here a couple weeks back about whether to repair or replace an 18 year old waterfurnace unit. We ended up deciding to replace as the cost of repairs was escalating... Now we are the proud (and significantly poorer!) owners of a new WaterFurnace 5-series. We actually have two separate furnace units, both waterfurnace. They share a ground loop and a single flow control unit. The smaller unit is slaved off the larger unit (I don't actually know what that means, but this is what I'm told). We replaced only the larger unit as the smaller unit was functioning perfectly.

The installation did not go well. The new unit faulted out overnight and switched over to emergency backup. I called the company, they sent someone (the same tech who did the install) to fix. Turns out it was the compression monitor "watchdog" that was shutting down the unit. Tech claimed he had missed a step in the installation and that all was good now, he fixed the problem. He wasn't gone 20 minutes when the unit faulted again, same error. The tech who did the install said he was in over his head now, and the only person who could fix the problem was not available until the next day. Eventually (this took 2 more trips from the second tech over a couple days ) they end up replacing the contact switch and another part, I forget the name, but it's the capacitor that helps the compressor start up. Now things are working well. The tech leaves at 4pm. A few hours later, the second smaller furnace stops working (there was no fault indicator, just failing to heat the upstairs). Tech #2 returns the following day. The blower in the smaller unit won't start. Oh, and maybe our compressor has been damaged since there is no safety mechanism in the older furnace to prevent the compressor from running (and overheating) if the blower isn't functioning

He was able to get the compressor to start up by adding a hard-start component, but explained that the compressor was probably on it's way to failure. I asked IN GENERAL, what ballpark price to replace the smaller unit. I'm thinking, since a) the larger unit is a 6-ton and the smaller unit is only 2-ton and b) they've already replaced the shared flow-control unit it should be substantially cheaper than the first replacement. Apparently this is not the case???

So, long post, here, finally is my question. 1) Should a 2-ton replacement (with no flow-control replacement needed) cost nearly the same as a 6-ton unit with a new flow control (the price they mentioned is about 80% of what we paid for the larger unit) and b) is it possible that the 2nd furnace was damaged in some way by the incorrect (or even by the correct) installation of the larger unit - ie, something different about the flow control, etc.? I just find the timing of this really unfortunate and a little too coincidental to be unrelated.

One final question - for all you professional installers out there, is my waterfurnace warranty tied to the dealer who does the install? In other words, if I do determine these guys are somehow at fault and decide to stop using them, can I have another dealer service my furnace under the original warranty?

Thanks for any feedback!

Not saying that it couldn't be related but coincidence's happen all the time. On job in particular come to mind where a home owner had 3 split systems all 18 years old. She was trying to sell her house and wanted the minimal repairs to keep them cooling. With a two week period she had a start capacitor, condenser fan motor, and time delay fail. Each on a different unit and each a service call. She was convinced that we had done something to mess up the other units while doing the repairs. Once a unit reaches a certain age components start failing.

I know if I wasn't in the business I would find it fishy. But we see unrelated failures all the time.

Question #1 It should be cheaper for the unit but Labour will be about the same. I would think water furnace would be the same as York carrier etc. If they are a waterfurnace dealer your warranty will be coverd by all waterfurnace dealers not just the company who installed it.

Get more Then one quote. Sounds like you have doubts about this company look else where

Any dealer can do the warranty on the parts. But your labor warranty is provided by the installing contractor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

no it should not i would call and get another quote ,also highly unlikely that overheating one time damaged the compressor ,waterfurnace come with a 10 year part and labor assist warranty not sure if it is transferable, did they install a softstart kit on your new unit
    We really need change now

lkelly4,

We are sorry to hear that you have had trouble with your WaterFurnace equipment. Please provide the model and serial numbers of your units, as well as the name of the contractor you area working with so we may look into your inquiry further. If you do not wish to post your information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

like has been said the parts warranty is for any dealer, and labor is only from installing dealer. But since they didnt replace the 2 ton, it will not hurt you to get another quote from another contractor on it. I think they may be making out the 2 ton to be in worse shape than it actualy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    Not saying that it couldn't be related but coincidence's happen all the time. On job in particular come to mind where a home owner had 3 split systems all 18 years old. She was trying to sell her house and wanted the minimal repairs to keep them cooling. With a two week period she had a start capacitor, condenser fan motor, and time delay fail. Each on a different unit and each a service call. She was convinced that we had done something to mess up the other units while doing the repairs. Once a unit reaches a certain age components start failing.

I know if I wasn't in the business I would find it fishy. But we see unrelated failures all the time.
    Thanks for this information. I certainly don't think they did anything intentional, I just thought perhaps changing the flow control unit might have caused something to start happening differently in the 2nd unit. I am willing to accept the possibility that it is just a very unfortunate and expensive coincidence but it is definitely something worth looking into before we plunk down any more $$.

Quote Originally Posted by WF_Inc View Post
    lkelly4,

We are sorry to hear that you have had trouble with your WaterFurnace equipment. Please provide the model and serial numbers of your units, as well as the name of the contractor you area working with so we may look into your inquiry further. If you do not wish to post your information publicly, please feel free to send us a private message.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.
    New and regular guest don't have PM ability. You might want to put your email address in your profile.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?