+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Erratic operation of Honeywell HZ432 with York YZF/MV20

Post Likes
    As suggested by DogBoy in his last thread on this topic I am providing an update and what i feel is the solution this problem.
    First.... I am most certain at one point I was dealing with two issues. The first was Problem A the overheating with out a call for heat. Then I find problem B which was W and O present giving the compressor lockout fault codes shifting to emergency heat and causing the problems as previously posted. Correct Problem B thinking I got it ....but oh no Problem A comes back some 20 days and this time it finally clicks that this is happening when ambient is below BP.
    I spoke with both Honeywell and York again... I 'll break out each their points below

YORK

Given that the defrost control board in this heat pump controls the staging of W1out and W2out to the A/H W1 and W2 based on BP and LTCO setting. It was felt it would be best to disable the same functional control that was set up the zone panel to lock out the aux heat until below 35 ( same as BP setting in Heat pump defrost board). and just let heat pump control stage W1 and W2. A call for compressor on Y in conjunction with W ( based on BP will or will not energize W1 and after 15 min w2) A call on W without a compressor is acknowledged as emergency heat and w1 and w2 are energized as required.

After a Q&A with my 3rd honeywell tech on this problem and explaining what I described above I asked him to explain the out put signals. He stated to me that W1/E only energizes on a aux/emergency heat call and w2 energizes on a aux/supplemental call with compressor. That caught me off guard and I asked him to repeat it and I wrote what he said to be sure I heard him right .He suggested I remove the jumper on the zone panel and wire w2 to the defrost control board...what about the emergency heat call as it goes thru the defrost control board??? the jumper remains in place.

Trying to incorporate the zone panel lockout and trying to utilize the rudimentary wiring diagram of the installation manual I wired w2 from the panel to w2 on the AH in conjunction with w2 coming from defrost control board...so I must of had a emergency heat signal and a supplemental heat signal at the same time below BP . That must have caused a back feed to latch the dry contact closed even though there was no call for either heat

so today
    I disabled the zone control aux heat LO
    removed the w2 to w2 wire
    test all functions above and below BP based on todays ambient

I feel pretty good about this.... feel like a bit of a dumb ass as well. my other zone jobs went off with out a hitch but I second guessed the little voice when I was wiring this as I could not find my reference drawing from the previous installs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JBocc View Post
    As suggested by DogBoy in his last thread on this topic I am providing an update and what i feel is the solution this problem.
    First.... I am most certain at one point I was dealing with two issues. The first was Problem A the overheating with out a call for heat. Then I find problem B which was W and O present giving the compressor lockout fault codes shifting to emergency heat and causing the problems as previously posted. Correct Problem B thinking I got it ....but oh no Problem A comes back some 20 days and this time it finally clicks that this is happening when ambient is below BP.
    I spoke with both Honeywell and York again... I 'll break out each their points below

YORK

Given that the defrost control board in this heat pump controls the staging of W1out and W2out to the A/H W1 and W2 based on BP and LTCO setting. It was felt it would be best to disable the same functional control that was set up the zone panel to lock out the aux heat until below 35 ( same as BP setting in Heat pump defrost board). and just let heat pump control stage W1 and W2. A call for compressor on Y in conjunction with W ( based on BP will or will not energize W1 and after 15 min w2) A call on W without a compressor is acknowledged as emergency heat and w1 and w2 are energized as required.

After a Q&A with my 3rd honeywell tech on this problem and explaining what I described above I asked him to explain the out put signals. He stated to me that W1/E only energizes on a aux/emergency heat call and w2 energizes on a aux/supplemental call with compressor. That caught me off guard and I asked him to repeat it and I wrote what he said to be sure I heard him right .He suggested I remove the jumper on the zone panel and wire w2 to the defrost control board...what about the emergency heat call as it goes thru the defrost control board??? the jumper remains in place.

Trying to incorporate the zone panel lockout and trying to utilize the rudimentary wiring diagram of the installation manual I wired w2 from the panel to w2 on the AH in conjunction with w2 coming from defrost control board...so I must of had a emergency heat signal and a supplemental heat signal at the same time below BP . That must have caused a back feed to latch the dry contact closed even though there was no call for either heat

so today
    I disabled the zone control aux heat LO
    removed the w2 to w2 wire
    test all functions above and below BP based on todays ambient

I feel pretty good about this.... feel like a bit of a dumb ass as well. my other zone jobs went off with out a hitch but I second guessed the little voice when I was wiring this as I could not find my reference drawing from the previous installs
    Sounds to me like you got it whooped, bravo bravo. Controls can get a little confusing sometimes. Best thing I've found is to sit down and get out the box of crayons and draw a picture then get back at it.

Post Likes
    Thank you for letting us know what it took. some York boards and wiring to me is a little difficult (york gaurd VI) as we don't see many of them. but with the zone board thrown in congratulations.

dogboy

Post Likes
    thanks ... one could say "I had my lunch handed to me on this one".

Post Likes
    We have had the same problem at my company only it is with Zonex damper control boards. It is only on duel fuel set ups and is completely random. Even to the point that we have the set up on the basement system as the attic system and only one or the other would fail. The only way we solved it was to change to a different damper control board. At first we were looking at the honeywell 8000 stats we installed. Apparently this year honeywell made a change to these stats and combine the Aux and E terminal. Well the Zonex board does not like a call for Y and W at the same time. So every time the stat would stage up to include Aux and Y the board would shut down. But even after correcting that issue the problems continued. Since changing board manufactures we have not been back into those homes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in