Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hvac info

I would like to know the difference between a regular heating/cooling unit and a heat pump system, and rough directions for installation of both. I will not be doing the work but would like to be educated for my business, which is remodeling.

Wow, you don't ask for much....

Dude do a Google search.............
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Heat pump, an air conditioner that can heat or cool.

Not to ust on you, but if your biz is remolding, I would think youo've seen more then one system being installed.

Unfortunately, even rough installation instructions, are DIY instructions, which are not allowed on this site.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

heat pump info: I'll give you credit for persistence, but that's all. I'm going out on a limb here (no pun intended) but I guess a half-witted monkey could do what you do huh? I'll actually be serious for a moment. What is the basis of your question? (and you'll have to do better than "I want to be educated because of my business, remodeling." All the best, (when I'm not putting in HVAC) John.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Heating & cooling is vague. A heat pump system does both. You have an outdoor unit (assuming air source heat pump) that can both remove heat from the space or take heat from outside and pump it inside in the winter and some kind of indoor unit with a blower, coil and usually some form of additional heat.

The most common indoor unit is an air handler with heat strips aka an electric furnace. It would have a coil with it either internally or in the return of it. For cooling, the system runs like any other A/C system. For heating, the outdoor unit reverses refrigerant flow and brings heat from outdoors to indoors. Since in bitter weather, this alone won't heat the house, the electric heat helps out.

Gaining popularity is dual fuel or hybrid heat. Inside is a standard gas furnace just like with a conventional heating & cooling system. The heat pump runs in mild weather, the gas furnace in cold weather.

bald: I couldn't have said it better myself. :>)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning

First you want to do load calculatoins ie Manual J

Figure out the duct work ie Manual D

You will need a blueprint w/window door schedules

If you are going to be a good remodeling person don't use the WAG method (wild a$$ guess)

After you have figured this out buy the needed materials, and put them in the appropriate places.

When your done turn it on and if done correctly it should function as discribed in the above links.

Hope this helps.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

rubber duck: you obviously don't do this for a '_______.' (insert appropriate word, i.e., livelihood, career, living, trade, etc.) All the be....., all the ba......, All the bes.....(sorry, under construction) John.

Originally posted by John Lloyd
    rubber duck: you obviously don't do this for a '_______.' (insert appropriate word, i.e., livelihood, career, living, trade, etc.) All the be....., all the ba......, All the bes.....(sorry, under construction) John.
    In case you missed it, rubberduck was being facetious.

Suggest you look up the definition...

I personally use the SWAG method. Scientific Wild A$$ Guess. Tends to be more accurate.

hp_dude32: in case YOU missed it, duck's reply mirrors many that have been given here over the years. Unfortunately, most of those replies were not facetious, but were intended to be straightforward instructions. "Literal." suggest you look up the definition. All the best, of the best, of the best, John.

p.s. we save all our facetious comments for the 'open' forums. Don't you know we can only have 'serious' conversations amongst ourselves? Oops, I was facetious.

I was just trying to be funny.

SWAG method, I like that.

[Edited by rubberduck on 11-03-2006 at 06:27 PM]
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast