+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big electric motor

Post Likes

Big electric motor

Working at a aluminum rolling mill the past few weeks on fall outage PMs. For the most part we work on the chillers and air handlers for motor and motor room cooling. Last week they did a tear down on 2 out of 3 of the finishing mill motors. One of the armatures was pulled for offsite work. They have special cradles with enclosures for motor part moving and storage. The armature alone weighed 60,000 lb. with cradle enclosure the weight was just shy of 90,000lb. It was disassembled, worked on, parts trucked out, parts trucked back, reassembled and rolling aluminum in one week
    Today they rolled an even bigger motor in for a different mill. 153,000lb armature with 193,000lb. cradle/armature weight. Makes me feel like I'm playing with a tonka truck in the sandbox while the kids next door are playing with haul-trucks in a strip-mine.

Post Likes
    Pictures would be good... if allowed. With something for reference of size.

I have played with motors as large as oil drums... nothing that weighed 30 tons though...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I've done a lot of paper mill, textile mill, and die cast plant work over the years, and have never seen a motor that big. Would love to see the pictures of that as well.

Post Likes
    That is nuts. Would love to see pictures!

Post Likes
    You don't know how bad I wanted to take one! This mill is so clean, nice, helpful, and gives us so much work. I would be a sad guy if I stood out in the open and snapped a pic and got in trouble. The shaft size is probably about the diameter of a drum if that helps haha.
    About the only picture I have is of a air handler bearing.(which is more disappointing) It has a 200hp motor driving it via poly chain at a 1:1 ratio. They use two of the air handlers twined with two 250 ton RTAC tranes to keep the motors happy.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352240397.997707.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  43.5 KB
    The auto greaser is not on it but the vibration sensors are. You can tell they like to be preventative.

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352329203.299943.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  61.7 KB
    Here is a lightweight motor room there. The closest motor is 1500hp coupled to another one just to the left out of sight.
    In the background is two 5000hp motors coupled together. You can see their chilled water piping to their coils directly on top of them. The motor air recirculated inside themselves. They are sealed tight during operation. You can watch the chilled water temp and see how hard they are running.
    They were running their chilled water temp so high they were on the edge of making the chillers take a dump. Thankfully they added some bypass valves, 8000 gal tank, and a bigger chiller than the current three combined. They do not like to slow down for hot motors and they want to push them to 120% all summer with no worries.

Post Likes
    that is bbbbbbbig
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Imagine what the electric bill would be just to start it!

Post Likes
    Being in this industry often reminds me of just what it takes to keep this country going, day to day. Most people have no idea. Those two 5000hp motors being enclosed like that reminds me of motor-generator sets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Being in this industry often reminds me of just what it takes to keep this country going, day to day. Most people have no idea. Those two 5000hp motors being enclosed like that reminds me of motor-generator sets.
    Hard to believe and these are the small ones. All this is here running wide open no expenses spared to maintain continuous production so Americans can crack open a cold one.

Post Likes
    I have a lot of pride working in this industry because we are kind of the unsung heroes. People dont understand how important HVAC is to modern life until it breaks.

Post Likes
    Our coal boiler has a 3500HP ID Fan with a VFD the size of a small room.

The fresh air fan for the HRSG on our Cogeneration gas boiler is 1250HP.

Kind of makes thsoe little 1/20th HP fans on a residental ID fan seem a little small.

All this helps produce corn syrup for that nice cold can of soda, loaf of bread, food for cattle, chewing gum and plenty of other products.

Big foundaries, paper mills and other mills are truely impressive. We're just a tiny corn mill.

Post Likes
    Yep. When they crack these open we have to stop and stare in awe. Usually takes shaker an hour or so to recover.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Kind of makes thsoe little 1/20th HP fans on a residental ID fan seem a little small.
    Yes it does. I started in the industrial and institutional side of the industry. In the late 80's and early 90's when there was a sharp downturn in manufacturing, I got tired of less than 40 hour weeks, and took a job with a light commercial and residential service company. I was scared to death that I was gonna break something. Everything suddenly looked so small. Thanks for the pics and the trip down memory lane.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    Yes it does. I started in the industrial and institutional side of the industry. In the late 80's and early 90's when there was a sharp downturn in manufacturing, I got tired of less than 40 hour weeks, and took a job with a light commercial and residential service company. I was scared to death that I was gonna break something. Everything suddenly looked so small. Thanks for the pics and the trip down memory lane.

I get your point !

my fear is the opposite ....

When big $$$ production is at stake I fear breaking something that will prevent production ...

Comfort cooling means they may not be comfortable ....process means they lose big $$$ and you may not be invited back ...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Yep. When they crack these open we have to stop and stare in awe. Usually takes shaker an hour or so to recover.
    In the rare event that it lasts more than 4 hours I will have to seek medical help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeacman View Post
    I get your point !

my fear is the opposite ....

When big $$$ production is at stake I fear breaking something that will prevent production ...

Comfort cooling means they may not be comfortable ....process means they lose big $$$ and you may not be invited back ...
    $3000 a minut down the drain when production stops. No pressure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    $3000 a minut down the drain when production stops. No pressure.
    I used to install industrial air pollution control equipment with substantial fans. We had an installation with a 500HP VFD controlled fan, but the client wanted an across the line starter for the fan, so he could run it if the VFD went down. We installed the backup as directly. When we tested it, it seemed like the whole grid was going to crash; lights dimmed, etc. That sucker hummed and whined but finally started moving and got up to speed. Scariest startup I was ever on.

Post Likes
    Worked at an abandoned aluminum mill site today. It was purchased by another mill, shut down, and is only used as warehousing. We were there to check unit heaters to keep sprinklers from freezing. Here is a 3,000 HP GE I could take pictures of and scale. I used a gallon bubble jug for a scale in the first two.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352938055.318069.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  45.2 KB
    Covered up armature
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352938233.172248.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  58.7 KB
    Stator
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352938351.228610.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  55.0 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352938377.947858.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  48.4 KB

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364678725.175195.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364678745.292775.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  49.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364678785.559539.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  53.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in